used chucks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I bought two lathe a while back and both lathes had the same problem with the chucks that came with them. One was a 10 inch Atlas and the other a 12 Craftsman that was made by Atlas.
Both chucks had what is commonly known as "bell mouth". When you insert a piece of stock all the way into the jaws and start to tighten them they grip the material at the back of the jaws but not the front. As you continue to bear down on the chuck key it forces the front of the jaws to grip as well. Sometimes. It happens to the chuck over time and is caused by gripping short pieces of stock in the jaws and bearing down hard on the chuck key. Eventually the jaws will deform or wear down or the ways that guide them will wear. This can happen over a long period of time or rather quickly depending on the quality of the chuck and the use of it. There is a repair but its only a band- aid fix, or, if you can find them you can replace the jaws. The only real answer is replacement of the chuck.
The point being is if you are out looking at used lathes check the jaws with a decent straight shaft of material. It may save you from buying something that needs replaced right away, causing you uneccesary expense and trouble.
I happened to buy the lathes cheap enough it wasnt a problem cost wise but chucks are not cheap and it would have been a better deal if I didnt have to replace the chucks in the first place. Hopefully this may help you in your search for a used lathe.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

Actually you can true inside of the jaws on the lathe. It's not that easy, but it was my first ever machining and working on metal lathe! So it's certainly something that could be done.
I went from 0.2mm (almost 0.01") offcenter to close to 0.05mm (0.002"). Not even grip can be worked out as well with this technique.

The real trick is to keep jaws open and tighten at same time.
write me if you need detailed instruction, I might write some day:) (found all info on russian-speaking forum about machining, as almost all lathes bought in Russia or Ukraine are weeeeelllll used:)).

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There are several solulions posted on youtube and different threads on the net that deal with truing up the jaws. The point of the post was to point this out to the membership, which are not for the most parts machinists, to be aware of and watch for this condition as they inspect a used lathe they are considering buying. I did true up the jaws as best I could on one but the wear was way more than what you had to fix. I opted to buy a used chuck that was in excellent condition instead.

yaroslaw

There are a ton of methods of doing that. And some will tell that "other method wouldn't work". Although, as I've said, it was my first ever machining work and I've done it succesfully (minus two cutters... who cares!)

Top Bottom