HF 7x10 tapering?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I picked this up used and it seems to have a slight possible alignment issue or something?

When I run the auto feed, it cuts on a very slight taper so that the side closest to the head stock is more narrow than the tail stock end. Across a 5" run it's just less than 1mm smaller diameter cut.

Where do I start to troubleshoot?

Then my next question is how do I intentionally cut a short taper for something like a nose cone?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I picked this up used and it seems to have a slight possible alignment issue or something?

When I run the auto feed, it cuts on a very slight taper so that the side closest to the head stock is more narrow than the tail stock end. Across a 5" run it's just less than 1mm smaller diameter cut.

Where do I start to troubleshoot?

Then my next question is how do I intentionally cut a short taper for something like a nose cone?

Thanks!
You need to adjust your tailstock to get the taper out. There are several videos on YouTube on how to adjust your tailstock. But basically, you adjust the 2 set screws on each side of the tailstock. You move it back and forth to adjust the angle of the tailstock to remove the taper.

Here's One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QADD2XQFDds

To do a short taper, you'd use your compound slide to move the cutting tool at an angle to the piece. I think there are some YouTube videos on this too.

Here's a one cutting tapers using the compound slide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bEIA6C5gg

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Doh! Cutting a short taper is a no-brainer now that I've seen it. I just wasn't seeing it at first in my head but I kept thinking in terms of feeding along the lead screw rather than feeding with the slide.

I'll look at the tail stock in the morning.

Thanks Bob!

rherrell

If you used your tailstock for support when making that cut then I would check the tailstock alignment first. If you get a taper without using the tailstock then it could be the headstock alignment OR you could have a "twist" in it. Make sure it's bolted down to a perfectly flat surface.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Before you adjust the tailstock check the bed to make sure it level front to back (across the ways) the same at both ends. as Rick says if its slightly twisted it wil cut a taper. THis is one reason they sell machinest levels which are accurate to .004 or less.

Last edited:

Penultimate

I had this issue a few months ago. I was flipping the blank around to eliminate the taper. I thought my tail stock was aligned as I aligned previously. I tested it found it was out of alignment.

It's easy to check tail stock alignment. Mount a dead center in your headstock or mount one in the chuck and mount a live center in the tail stock. Move your tail stock close to the head stock. Hold a 6" steel rule between the points and advance the live center. If the scale stays straight you are aligned, if it skews in any direction the tail stock is misaligned.

Good luck.

Top Bottom