Aluminum or softer jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I was turning some Stainless last night and wanted to really hold it gently so I did not damage the metal. I wrapped some tape inside and that was a failure. I was thinking maybe some aluminum jaws but now that I think of that, I can see replacing them often getting expensive. Any ideas on how to obtain a firm yet soft grip using a 3 jaw chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Depending on diameter compatibility, a piece of thin walled plastic or rubber tubing over the end clamped in th jaws works pretty well.

If you can chuck then bore out an undersized piece of PVC to the right diameter to fit the part in so it runs concentric with the lathe axis then slit it along one side to allow clamping it saves a lot of off center wobble that needs to br turned off (don't take it out of the lathe and put it back or you'll be off center again, do everything that can be done in one chucking operation.)

Paul in OKC

You can make soft jaws out of some mild steel (1018, or called cold rolled). done regularly in machine shops to hold parts without damaging finishes, and use to hold parts true.

Top Bottom