PSI is great

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I wanted to remove the carbide cutter from my PSI pen genie so I could hone it. But could not find the her wrench any where. I have misplaced it before and found it in short order...not this time. I called PSI to see if I could order a new one. After getting my name and checking a few things the young lady I talked to said she would send me a new one at no charge. I think that really good customer service.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Dan, do you hone the carbide insert by rubbing it upside down on the diamond hone ?

You got good service from PSI :):)

Neededwill

JOhn T,
So you take the R2 4 sided cutter, turn it upside down and rub in a circular motion?

That article is great! Also how many times can you do this with the carbide R2 inserts for the carbide magic pen genie?

jttheclockman

JOhn T,
So you take the R2 4 sided cutter, turn it upside down and rub in a circular motion?

That article is great! Also how many times can you do this with the carbide R2 inserts for the carbide magic pen genie?

You rub in a figure 8 motion so that you are not putting pressure on one side or other. It takes about 3 or 4 times around. you can do this until the cutter wear out but the more you do it the cutter becomes smaller in size because you are taking away material from the outer edge. But this takes a long long time. Light pressure and use lapping oil. A cutter can last a life time depending how much you use it. You can also touch up the bevel edges if you are good enough but does not need to be.

Watch this video.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=E589A84ECFCE6EDF2A28E589A84ECFCE6EDF2A28

Last edited:

jttheclockman

So any good suggestions on diamond stone and lapping oil?

I posted this a couple days ago because someone else asked about honing carbide cutters. This is the link I gave that explains alot in it. It tells you the difference between cheap and good quality.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/trend_diamond_sharpening.pdf

I explained I was at a woodworking show and picked up the Trend kit with the credit card stone. You do need lapping oil and not oil is good to use. to me the kits they sell are the best out there. You get what you pay for. They sell the lapping oil too. there are various places you can buy from. The same person in the video I posted here is the author of the info in the other link too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom