Zen issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Reece

Hi all,

I recently bought a set of black titanium Zen components, and one of the thread couplers is a loose fit when pushed into the tube. By loose fit, I mean you can push it in and pull it out by hand.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've got a lot of people interested in buying this style of pen but need to know if the quality is good overall before I'm comfortable selling them.

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Hi all,

I recently bought a set of black titanium Zen components, and one of the thread couplers is a loose fit when pushed into the tube. By loose fit, I mean you can push it in and pull it out by hand.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've got a lot of people interested in buying this style of pen but need to know if the quality is good overall before I'm comfortable selling them.

Thanks in advance

Probably my favorite kit. Not had any problems with it and I've made a bunch! I would suggest using a 2-part epoxy to set the thread coupler it the tube. CA is too brittle for that particular application, but epoxy should do nicely.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is not an unusual problem, though I have not heard of it with the Zen.

Put a bit of glue (NOT CA) in the tube and push the components in--I use a hand clamp to hold it in position for several hours.

Why not CA? It may cloud your components, gas reacts with the metal. I use Loctite or epoxy

witz1976

+1 on loctite. I find Epoxy to be too messy. I use the red stuff which is "permanent" although a little heat will soften the stuff so you can dissemble if needed.

Reece

I should have added, I've glued the coupler in and it's a great pen for me to use. The coupler is still edging it's way out slowly, but at least it's holding temporarily now.

I guess judging by the comments, this is just an unlucky once-off. That's good to know because I like the style of pen.

Whaler

Put a bit of glue (NOT CA) in the tube and push the components in--I use a hand clamp to hold it in position for several hours.

Why not CA? It may cloud your components, gas reacts with the metal. I use Loctite or epoxy

I didn't think about the CA gas causing clouding, guess I got lucky. Sure won't use it again.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you already USED CA, don't put it in a closed container. Let the air circulate around it for several days--then if you take it to shows, don't let it sit in a hot container---when you take it out, it can look cloudy.

Go ahead, ASK me how I know this!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Seamus, this is one time when I am happy about "No picture, didn't happen!!!"

So, let's say someone told me about it:befuddled::befuddled:

sbell111

I always use a drop of gel CA for this purpose and don't have a problem with blushing.

The important thing is to not finish assembling the pen after applying the glue and inserting the loose piece and to never use accelerator when using CA for this purpose.

I leave the unassembled, glued-up piece on the workbench where it can get plenty of ventilation. I leave it there overnight and then assemble. At that point, it can be stored as you would any other pen.

john__tucker

Same Problem

I actually just had the same problem within the last two weeks. Because it never happens I thought I stretched the end of the tube. I have never seen this happen with a zen, it could have been something I did just the same. I thought I was going crazy, I think this makes me a little less crazy. It was a chrome not a B/T.

Top Bottom