Young

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AnachitlPut

I wanted to get to know all the younger people on here that aren't as old as my parents or my parent's parents. I am 16 and have yet to talk to another person on here around my age.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

Well Andrew, I missed those threads but they are really interesting... Luke, I am 18 today. A senior in high school. Welcome to the group! There are a few of us on here that are in high school, but I only know of about 4 that are dedicated to the craft. Many people our age lose interest and patience (not to mention money) very quickly. If you want to chat or have any questions, let me know. I have been turning for just over 2 years and have seen and done many things in that time!

Haynie

Just for reference sonny boy saying people your parent's age or grand parent's age is calling us toothless old farts toothless old farts in a round about way. I outa report this thread. ...You know when I was yer age we didn't have the internet to keep us entertained. We played in the dirt and liked it. We walked up hill 5 miles to school every morning and the same back home again because our parents thought moving the house kept us on our toes....Younguns!!!!!!!!!!...SEE how riled up you got me, now I gotta take my heart medicine and drink some prune juice. Where's my walker :biggrin:

P.S. playing in the dirt rocks

AnachitlPut

Just for reference sonny boy saying people your parent's age or grand parent's age is calling us toothless old farts toothless old farts in a round about way. I outa report this thread. ...You know when I was yer age we didn't have the internet to keep us entertained. We played in the dirt and liked it. We walked up hill 5 miles to school every morning and the same back home again because our parents thought moving the house kept us on our toes....Younguns!!!!!!!!!!...SEE how riled up you got me, now I gotta take my heart medicine and drink some prune juice. Where's my walker :biggrin:

Now u see that's what ****es me off. People think that becouse i am young I waste my time on the enertnet. Though that my be true for some but not all. I rarly spend more than a hour on the computer and it is usally on here. I realy rather be in the shop or hanging with friends. And yes when I was smaller I played just like y'all did outside. If I affended people, I can't say I am to sorry but I only meant it in a truthfully none spitefull way.

D.Oliver

Don't get riled up. Haynie was just messing with you (hence the big green smiley face at the end).

Justturnin

Now u see that's what ****es me off. People think that becouse i am young I waste my time on the enertnet. Though that my be true for some but not all. I rarly spend more than a hour on the computer and it is usally on here. I realy rather be in the shop or hanging with friends. And yes when I was smaller I played just like y'all did outside. If I affended people, I can't say I am to sorry but I only meant it in a truthfully none spitefull way.

Relax Luke, I am sure he was kidding (note the big smiley at the end). For being 16 you sure are uptight. Most, if not all, older folks embrace the fact that there the younger generation is finding their way into the shop. It gives hope that in the future there will still be true craftsmen in the US.
Now your original post was not offensive but could have been worded a little better, I would recommend that when you type out a post let it sit for a bit and read it over, maybe you will catch some errors in the way you are explaining yourself or find that your true intent is not clear in the post. I understand what you are looking for, you want to chat w/ some Younger pen turners and come up with new fresh ideas but it would be a mistake not to listen to the more senior members as thay have the little tricks that will bring those ideas to life.

Ohh yea, why aren't you in school.......

Last edited:

Ambidex

hey I'm 8 in dog years..all kidding aside..show us some pens Luke! We love pics around here, espescially from our future artists. Geo

Cherie

Hey hey now Luke, calm it down. There are some your age here as I can see. They have much advise to offer you just as us older folks do. I am a beginner at turning myself, but I am a scroller first. I have learned much from both the young and older people and we are all in need of learning more. How about this, any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I know I would! :)
BTW, welcome to the forum.

ctubbs

Luke is not a new member, he has been around since 2010. I have seen some of his work and best i remember, he is pretty good.
Luke, I am a master union Electrician. When I get the chance to work with one of our apprentices, I am thrilled, not for what I can teach him, even though that is my job as his journeyman, but what he can teach me. The mind of our younger people coming into our trades is open to all the new things made available to them. Your minds are still fresh with thoughts and ways that us old farts never thought of. When you have an idea, throw it out for us to mull over. Just because we might hate your idea does not make it bad or wrong. For some of us, if you were selling $100 bills for $0.15, it would have a problem attached and would fret them to no end. Of course you will find many here over 60 in calendar years but still 9 year old boys. We just never grew up and never plan to do it either. I am one of them. Glad to see you and all the younger people such as yourself joining in. You are the future of this craft. To find young people willing to get their hands dirty and actually want to build something is a very refreshing thing in today's market.
Charles

Haynie

Deep breath now. Life is far too short to get your knickers in a knot over something on the net. Especially when that big green smiley face was at the end.

OOPS

In our local club, our oldest member is in his mid 80s and our youngest member is 16. While the ages tend to be 50+ we welcome everyone, and as a result we get along like one big, happy family. When I was your age, I got my first chance to use a wood lathe. I loved it. Unfortunately, there was no one around my neighborhood, or any nearby elders who were wood workers. As a result, I never got to continue to learn on the lathe, until a few decades later. What I would have given to learn from a seasoned-citizen at that time. But now, I can go online and learn from all the experts who are here.

AnachitlPut

Your kiddy me learn from these people? I love it I can't wait to learn more. Though I have been woodworking since I been able to hold a hammer ( no joke). I know alot about wood and what I can do. I am full of surprises.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmm

That would be "in the snow with no shoes" wouldn't it? And - we were greatful for the opportunity.

Top Bottom