Yet Another Pen Vise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

If you get a chance to look at this in the store, it is a pretty good vise. A little pricey but it is better than the import that Woodcraft, PSI and CSUSA have. I would have to get Paul's in my hand to compair. I am hoping to get it by my 1 year IAP birthday.[:p]

Mike

gwilki

I'm on Paul's very long list, and a late entry at that. This one looks much better than any other that I've seen. It's much better than the one that I now have. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has Paul's and can see this one up close and personal.

Woodlvr

Pauls vise is very much worth waiting for. It puts the others to shame. Rocklers looks better than the WC piece of c***.:D

Mike

airrat

Not a bad looking vice. Looks like you have to use a Rockler base for it though. So I would bet it cost more then the 79.

stevers

Actually, I think it looks pretty slick. They put a drawer under it. It all depends on the accuracy and repeatability.
Be curious to see some reviews. That is a lot of money. It will have to be great to compete with Pauls. And from what I hear, thats tough to do.

Firefyter-emt

??? You mean the plywood? That's just a board that you mount it to and has some holes for the t-track. Although, to be fair... you need to mount Pauls vice to something too, so his will cost "more" as well.

Personaly I kind of like it. I like the longer track and what appears to be gibb screws for slack adjustment. I might just order one of these myself.

24577-02-500.jpg

Originally posted by airrat

Not a bad looking vice. Looks like you have to use a Rockler base for it though. So I would bet it cost more then the 79.

dwmcreynolds

I just brought one home. My wife insisted, she likes pretty things. I had a coupon, so it was about $64. It appears to be pretty sturdy, and certainly more usable than that piece o' cr*p I got from CS. I like the place for the scrap insert. I'm going to make some inserts for the jaws, not crazy about pressing my pens with bare metal.

Rifleman1776

The Rockler vice seems stout and well made. The downside, as I see it, is that it is adjustable in only one direction. The one shown is on a drill press table with slots, not all DP tables have those. Not all blanks are created equal and some require adjustment to hit perfect centers. I use a machinists vice that has two-way adjustments, or 'X-Y' as the machinee guys like to say. The General vice is similar in that regard.

drayman

well for me i am currently useing my normal woodwork bench vise, so i will keep useing that untill i get my PH pen vice.

Firefyter-emt

One thing though. A good woodshop should have a larger replacement drill table with T-Track for jig use. With this, you can have a lot of movement if you slot you base to adjust side ot side. Use a "drill rod" to clamp the vice on to the chuck. Once this is done, lock it down to your woodworking top. Perfectly centered every time.

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

The Rockler vice seems stout and well made. The downside, as I see it, is that it is adjustable in only one direction. The one shown is on a drill press table with slots, not all DP tables have those. Not all blanks are created equal and some require adjustment to hit perfect centers. I use a machinists vice that has two-way adjustments, or 'X-Y' as the machinee guys like to say. The General vice is similar in that regard.

Top Bottom