Wood suggestions for Majestic kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

itsme_timd

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd get some input from other pen-turners on this. I'm fairly new (about 6 mos.) and I've recently ordered my first high-end kit, a Majestic. I'm putting a lot of thought into the material I want to use and I'm looking for suggestions. Here's what I'd like...

- I don't want to use a burl or something with a lot of grain variation as I don't want the wood to be the main focus here. Something that compliments the kit where both can be appreciated...
- I do want to use wood, not acrylic.
- I'd like a medium-colored brown/red wood as opposed to maple or ebony coloration.

:) I may be overthinking but I want this to be a display quality, first class pen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

You might want to consider some of the myrtle burl Wolfdancer has up for sale. It's a beautiful wood but doesn't have the aggressive figure of amboyna. One of my favorite woods.

Marc

ldb2000

For the red side I say Paduk or Bloodwood , nice subdued grain patterns and a nice red color or on the brown side I think East Indian Rosewood .
My best selling Majestics have been Curly Koa ( The golden ones ) and if your not totally set on wood the Black w/gold web Tru-stone makes a Museum Quality Majestic

1_trustonemajestic.jpg

altaciii

I know, I know, theres a lot guys and gals here that have a fear of this wood, but I really haven't had the kind of problems with the ones I have done. I've used it in all my kits and still love the way it gives off that elegant look. Snake wood.

Attachments

• 1_DSC02217[1].jpg
    1_DSC02217[1].jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom