wood suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdarragh

My parents and my in-laws are both on separate trips right now. One set headed to the Seattle area and one to Canada-- the Ontario area as I recall. I was thinking of asking them to bring back some local wood from each of those two places. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask for specifically that turns well and makes nice pens? Any help appreciated.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Well Canada certainly has a lot of Maple. I don't know if Sugar Maple is common to your area.

jdarragh

Thanks for the replies. I had considered maple from Canada and I have read about Myrtlewood from the Pacific NW. but as I recall its range may be more Oregon and N. California.

jdarragh

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

Ontario has over 1,000,000 square kilometres of area (no joke), so the 'Ontario area' covers a heck of a lot of territory. Where are they visiting? NW ONtario, Southern Ontario?

Andrew

Max 007---

I knew when I wrote it that the "Ontario area" was not too specific. It's my in-laws who are celebrating their upcoming retirement. They are going fishing for walleye for a week somewhere in a remote area of Ontario where you have to fly in. I am not sure specifically where cause the dirty rotten scoundrels didn't take me with them and so I didn't ask a bunch of questions in quiet protest--- just like a son-in-law should do.

Big leaf maple and yew are good ideas.

Top Bottom