Wood Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I just bought the Wood Chuck Pen Pro and was very excited to try it. I turned 4-5 blanks - nothing special - all wood. Last night I turned a birdseye maple blank and I got a lot of chatter and squealing sounds. I couldn't believe it was dull already but I turned the tip to a new side and it was much better - still get some squealing/scraping sound part of the time.
IS this sound normal? Should the carbide tip last longer than 4-5 blanks?

Last edited:

Mapster

That is normal, yet not normal... The carbide tip should last many more blanks than that, but the chatter is a relatively normal occurance. The carbide tips in my experience have lasted about 25 pens (acrylic, corian, wood, metal) per edge before even showing signs of any dullness. The main reason I have to turn the insert is because of chips. If I catch it just right on a bushing or a square corner I can chip part of the carbide.

The chatter and squealing is usually a rigidity problem. I had mandrel poblems and it caused lots of squealing and chattering. Another thing is vibration of the tube. If you have a tube that is only supported by the bushings (not 7mm) that causes the tube to vibrate also creating the sounds. The woodchuck puts a lot of stress on the mandrel and lathe, so you should check your mandrel and such to make sure they are functioning properly. There is a learning curve, you will soon learn the best ways to cut certain materials as well as the proper pressure to apply

pianomanpj

Consider turning between centers. The blank is rigidly supported and will not deflect. Both hard and soft materials will turn without any chatter.

Top Bottom