Wood Laminating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

I have seen many pics of some really nice laminated pens and was wondering if there was a tutorial somewhere that could give me some of the basics.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Micah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

Micah,
There is a tutorial in the Articles section for "Creating a polychromatic segmented pen" that will give you some ideas. Also, there are a couple of items in the yahoo penturners group files section. I have been looking at these and am planning on trying one out soon.

Good Luck!

KenV

One of the creative masters of segments on this list is Eagle. Back tracking through some of his posts will give you ideas and mental challenges. Eagle never gives "road maps" but he does describe a few landmarks.

Eagle has produced some pretty spectacular creative outcomes that have take pretty fair amount of time for thinking and working. As I have started to learn the paths between his landmarks and finding some landmarks of my own, I have greater appreciation of the time and precision required.

Most especially watch the precision -- the process of passing a cylindrical shape through a 3-dimensional solid with a series of planes going through it can be a head twister.

Also find the double cross pen write up to see how you need to be precise.

ldimick

Micah,

This is an area that I completely agree with Eagle on - try a few.

The only warnings that I would have would be:

1. Be careful that you are not wasting time by making your laminations to close to the edge of the blank and get turned away.
2. Be careful with the glue that you use. Different glues can show up with different colors of seams.
3. Make sure that things line up perfectly while gluing. It ruins the effect when the laminations don't line up.
4. Don't waste a good spalted blank. A lamination will help a plain blank look better.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by ldimick
<br />Micah,

This is an area that I completely agree with Eagle on - try a few.

The only warnings that I would have would be:

1. Be careful that you are not wasting time by making your laminations to close to the edge of the blank and get turned away.
2. Be careful with the glue that you use. Different glues can show up with different colors of seams.
3. Make sure that things line up perfectly while gluing. It ruins the effect when the laminations don't line up.
4. Don't waste a good spalted blank. A lamination will help a plain blank look better.
I'll add that there will be failures, don't get discouraged and keep trying. Also look into segmented bowl turning. It will help with designs and glue-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom