Wood Chuck Lathe Tool Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roos85

I just purchased a Uni tool from Wood chuck lathe tools and was wondering where I can buy just a handle that will fit this tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I use a lot of interchangable handles -- and as I remember, that was a 1/2 inch shank tool.

There are a bunch of handles ranging from those by Doug Thompson to Dave Peeples. The fancy ones are those using collets and Kelton is the top of the line there with interchangale ER collets in the handles.

Justturnin

I just got one as well and turned one out of a 1.5x1.5x10 of Myrtle wood. Drilled out a 3/4" copper pipe cap for the ferrel. Not the most beautiful handle but she works for me. Took about and hour from drill setup to turn. It was actually the first thing I turned w/ my collet chuck, not that you need one if your stock is square.

JohnGreco

I made my own, not too difficult of a project really and I like that it is a custom fit for my hand (I prefer a beefy grip).

Attachments

• Woodchuck 2.jpg
    Woodchuck 2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,492

Roos85

Ken does make handles to but he only has 1 option, and I was looking to see if I could get a few more options. I really like the handles from easy wood tools. Waiting to hear back from them...

The Penguin

ctubbs

I made my own for the Bowl Pro and it is all mine. I made it to fit my larger than usual hands. That is one of the main advantages of turning your own, it fits you both in length and diameter. It will not take all that long. Mine was the very first thing that I turned with my Bowl Pro. It is best to put a handle on the tool before using it to turn, DAMHIKT either.
Charles

Roos85

I assume this "ferrule" is the collar or whatever that holds the tool in the handle. I am not opposed to making one. Where do I get this ferrule? How big of a piece of what should I start out with? Thanks

ctubbs

I used a 3/4" copper sweat coupling, turned a tenon for a tight fit on the end, put the fitting on before inserting the tool into the hole. Rather than hammer on the tool, I started the tang into the hole then tapped the but end of the handle with my dead blow mallet. this will cause the tool to gently creep back into the handle until it is fully seated without doing any damage to the tool. If the tenon gets a bit too small, you can always drill a small hole through the copper and pin it with a small nail.
Charles

Russianwolf

I used a 3/4" copper sweat coupling, turned a tenon for a tight fit
Charles

+1, Mine are copper pipe as well. Handles were made of some scrap padauk I had laying around.

the ferrule is meant to prevent the handle from splitting, not to hold the tool in the handle. So no glue is really needed, just a friction fit.

Top Bottom