Wood / barrel decoupling...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

I've just started turning pens, and yesterday when I was demonstrating how to replace the Cross refill on a slimline, the wood on the top half of the pen decoupled from the barrel. I.e., the wood "sleeve" is now loose.

The barrel was originally glue in using thick CA, the wood is walnut. What's the likely cause of the failure of the glue bond, and what's the best solution now?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

titan2

The barrel was originally glue in using thick CA, the wood is walnut. What's the likely cause of the failure of the glue bond, and what's the best solution now?

Did you scratch up the tube real good before glueing it in to the wood? If not, then that's your problem......the glue needs something to hold on to and a smooth brass tube does not lend itself to such things unless it is scratched up with sand paper along to whole length of the tube.

Hope this helps!

Barney

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
To repair it, I would soak the tube in Acetone to clean it up, then scuff up good with 220 grit sand paper, followed by an Acetone wipe down. Then use medium CA to glue back in as the fit will now be quite tight.

Russianwolf

16.gif

johncrane

That would of being a red face moment:mad: if your just starting out use a two pack glue it gives you plenty of time to get the glue right around the blank and the brass tube, you don't get much time with ca. first cut a slice of spud about 1/4 inch thick push the brass tube into the spud, this will keep the glue out of the tube, once the tube is in place use a round file to push the spud out,put the used plug in the bin, then wrap the left over spud in a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for next time.:wink::biggrin:

Tn-Steve

Prep is a key thing for success in anytype of gluing operations. I scuff them up good with 120 sandpaper, then wipe them down with Acetone. This gets any dust / shavings off the tube, and even more important, removes any oil / lube left on the surface of the tube from the drawing process.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Bikerdad

I did scuff it, although I don't remember what grit I used, coulda been anything from 150 to 320. I didn't clean the barrel with acetone after the scuffing, although I have been thinking that would be "a good thing". I'll start doing that in the future, and make sure I use the stouter grits when scuffing.

I have mixed feelings on using Gorilla Glue as I've used it extensively in my woodworking, but my take on using epoxy is decidely unmixed. I won't unless I have no other practical choices. Epoxy and me just don't get along.

low_48

I've haven't used CA since the first couple pens I made. It's just too difficult to get proper coverage. I use an 80 grit sanding wheel in the drill press to sand the tubes. Just takes seconds. Then I use 5 minute epoxy. I use a cotton swab to coat inside the blank, coat the brass tube, then twist and turn the tube as I install it. Haven't had a failure with this technique.
"using epoxy is decidely unmixed", now that's funny!

ldb2000

Ok now for the question that no one has asked , what size drill bit did you use to drill the blanks and was the tube too tight or too loose ? If the hole was too tight you might have rubbed all the glue off the tube when you inserted it , if the hole was too loose then the glue might not have been able to bridge the gaps well enough . Either way you would end up with the tubes not being properly glued in . Another possibility might be that you got the glue too hot when you were turning or sanding which would cause the CA to soften and get gummy .
I use thick CA to glue in most of my tubes , and have never had a tube pull out , except on blanks that are oily and some acrylic blanks that are brittle , then I use epoxy . I know allot of people here use Gorilla glue but I won't . Gorilla glue might seem like it is filling the gaps on a loose fit but the gap is being filled by foam which has no structural strength and any stress would cause the foam to sheer and allow the tube to pull out . JMHO guys so no dog piles please .

Last edited:

nava1uni

I use CA to glue my tubes and have only had two fail. Both of which occurred due to my drilling the hole off center and there being a slight gap between the tube and the side of the blank.

Bikerdad

Ok now for the question that no one has asked , what size drill bit did you use to drill the blanks and was the tube too tight or too loose ?
I don't know what size the bit was, as I got the blank from someone else (who's being kind enough to tutor me and a friend on turning), already drilled. I don't recall that the tube was either especially snug or loose.

Another possibility might be that you got the glue too hot when you were turning or sanding which would cause the CA to soften and get gummy.
Innnnteresting.... that's a definite possibility.

Top Bottom