Wildcard Nib Shoulder Warping... I think

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Uncle Monster

Hey guys,

I recently put turned a Wildcard pen and after I assembled it I noticed a gap in between the blank and the nib end shoulder. It was difficult to press so I'm fairly certain I'm going to lose the blank when I disassemble. I've been putting it off for that reason. Has anyone else experienced the same issue and could lend some advice? I tried to contact Ed & Dawn at Exotic blanks, but I haven't gotten an email back since I sent the picture over and I don't want to be a pest. Maybe someone here can help? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What do you mean by warping???? That term applies to wood deforming. You have to remember one thing, all kits are manufactured with machines applying the platings. It is possible the components were machined with a problem or the build up of the plating material was not even.

Now with that said and not familar with that kit, what part turns??? I remember the Sierra kits from Bearra had a slight angle where the nib spins and it always left a slight gap if you looked at it closely. This was so that the blank did not rub on the component when it spun to open and close. Is this something you are seeing on this kit too.

Last but not least, how did you square the end of the tube?? Is there a taper on the end that makes it look like a gap when assembled.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To make this clear: I dropped the ball!!!

Kym (Uncle Monster) did send us a pic and I contacted PSI (Penn State's distributor arm). They got back to me in less than a day and informed me that they would replace any parts I had like this (we have a fair inventory, so this was going to take a while to determine number needed).

Unfortunately, that is where the project remained. I completely forgot about sending Kym the part needed. I will do so, this afternoon Kym--please accept my apologies for the delay and my thanks for the way you phrased this post!!!

Very kind!!!!

Ed

Now, point of information for all: the wildcard pen nib has a ring at the top that should mate with the pen blank. In some cases that ring is distorted, so it does not seat flatly (?), instead there is a gap. You can see the problem before assembling the pen, if you are watching for it---but it is not screamingly obvious. PSI is very helpful, offering to replace the part.

Uncle Monster

Ed, one of the most important characteristics I admire in a person is the ability to raise their hand and say, "I take the blame". My boss has taught me that is a sign of a true leader. From what I can tell you and Dawn have a lot going on so for my little issue it's easy to see how it could fall through the cracks as they say. It happens. When I read your post saying you dropped the ball, you earned a lifetime loyal customer! Thank you for that. I was hoping there was an easy fix without disassembling, but it could always be worse :) I'll post the picture tomorrow because I think I have it on my office pc. Feel free to post if you want and get the chance before I do Ed. Also, just so you know, in my opinion your reply is better customer service than if another kit was shipped out the same day. I can't express enough how much it means. Thanks again!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
they were big pictures!!

So, now they are smaller.

This is what the pen looked like from front and back. You can see the gap on the second picture. You can also tell that the blank was properly "faced". So, it had to be a hardware problem.

Again, PSI was very agreeable--no problem getting the repair parts, but you have to work with the distributor who sold you the pen--in this case, ExoticBlanks.

Attachments

• wildcard prob1.jpg
    wildcard prob1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 139
  • wildcard prob2.jpg
    wildcard prob2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Top Bottom