Why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Just curious. Why make bushings (and presumably mandrels) 10mm if 7mm is the "standard"?

I bought some kits and bushings at Rockler last week. Last night I went to use the bushings to make a pen mill bushing to match and found they were too sloppy on my 7mm mandrel. I mic'd them and found they were closer to 10mm.

Now I have to go back (30 miles each way) to get a 10mm mandrel, or pay to ship it. Sure would have been nice if the guy had bothered to ask if I had a matching mandrel. The shelf tag didn't say anything that I had noticed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

I hate when something like this happens. You will make the seller happy by buying another mandrell rod.
But you know what they say - eyerything is good for something. Perhaps you will drive back there and pick up some nice girl hitchhiking by the road.

DurocShark

I'd rather everything was 10mm. I bet I'd bend less mandrels.... maybe.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just (same time I bought those kits and bushings in fact) bought the higher end adjustable 7mm mandrel. So it kinda pisses me off that I now need to come up with more money for a 10mm.

Dario

As mentioned 7mm was the standard and the "need" for sturdier mandrel made it necessary for a bigger one.

I thought we only have 7mm (A mandrel) and 8mm (B mandrel)...they came up with a 10mm now too?

MikeMcM1956

Try johnnycnc - http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37595

There may also be other members here at IAP that have them or try www.littlemachineshop.com or www.grizzly.com

Johnny had said something about not being happy with the quality of the centers from littlemachineshop. I picked up a dead center from Victor (LandfillLumber) that I've been happy with. I'm turning between centers using stock bushings (w/o a 60 degree lead in on the ID) and it's working OK. I still need to get some of Johnny's fancy bushings, it's a real pain turning a slimline with the centers straight into the tubes :frown::frown:....

Mike

Rcd567

yeah, I went with a live and dead center and bushings from Johnny. I still have to use the mandrel on occasion, but really like mandreless turning.

DurocShark

Just curious, but what kit was this for?

Hahah. I went back today and they weren't even for the El Grande. They were mis-binned!

Of course, now I have the right bushings, and went to make a pen I realized my drill bit set had the 31/64" but not the 33/64". Crap.

Top Bottom