where to get lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

PSI has once again delayed the release on their new lathes another month. Then next month it will be another month etc etc. I'm sick of waiting on them. Where can I get a lathe comparable to the 10" commander, variable speed that they were pricing for $299. Do I spend the extra $125 for jet or does someone have a better suggestion. I will not turn bowls I will do nothing but small things pens, stoppers etc etc. Very frustrated with PSI. I had a Ryobi and was very happy with it. Help please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emccarthy

I've got the same Rikon that is linked, and love it. If you go that route, I don't think you'll be dissapointed(if you don't mind it NOT having variable speed)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Well it's not variable speed but Highland has this Rikon on sale for $289.99
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon12minilathe.aspx
I have this Rikon and it is great, they are coming out with a Variable speed conversion kit for it later this month. I will post a review on it when it comes out. For now the Rikon is a great value and a great lathe and their customer service is some of the best I have ever seen.

dow

I have this Rikon and it is great, they are coming out with a Variable speed conversion kit for it later this month. I will post a review on it when it comes out. For now the Rikon is a great value and a great lathe and their customer service is some of the best I have ever seen.
+1 on the Rikon AND their customer service. The only reason that I can think of why the Rikon wouldn't be a first choice would be if you have a requirement for a physically larger lathe, i.e. more swing. That, and if you just absolutely have to have the variable speed. I don't have it, and really don't know that it would be necessary to have it. Although it would be more convenient to have the variable speed, you're really talking about 3-5 seconds to change speeds on the lathe as it sits now. I currently use three speeds for my penmaking:

• 430 RPM (Slowest) for drilling
  • 3900 RPM (Fastest) for turning
  • 1810 RPM (Second down from Fastest) for sanding and finishing
Hopefully some of this rambling will be useful.

Neil: It's good to hear that they're moving on the VS add-on. When I talked to them last, the guy was waiting on another prototype and depending on that, they would be introducing them about 45 days later. He must have been pleased with it.

Last edited:

philipff

New Lathe

The new Delta gets my vote for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it gives you the capability and capacity to expand your turning adventures far beyond pens into the realm of bowls, ornaments, hollow forms, etc. Phil

workinforwood

Personally I think the PSI lathes are junk because the metal they use is junk. Why not just go to Menards and buy a Jet or Delta? Or a woodcraft store, they have them too and maybe the Rikon's, don't know, but they are all made of harder steel. I had a PSI lathe one time and I could peel the lathe apart with a HSS chisel. The tool holder looked like a cresent moon after a few hours of use just from the round metal of a chisel sliding back and forth across it.

Top Bottom