What's the difference between a cigar and a euro?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

Two guys walk into a bar and...

Oh wait. This is not a joke.:tongue:

I just want to know the difference between a "Cigar" pen, and a "European" pen. Is there a difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "European" comes in a couple different types.

7mm and a "Parker" version. So, be careful when ordering.

The European USUALLY (always, as far as I know, but never say "never" or "always") requires the material to be shortened to expose the brass tube for the centerband, then that component needs to be glued in place.

The Cigar centerband is press fit--no "tenon" required.

underdog

Thanks for the response...
I guess I could have looked it up...:redface: But I like personal interaction.

Yes, much bigger, and it takes a different mandrel does it not? (Not to mention bushings.)

To me the cigar looks better. The Euro has always looked a bit top heavy to me. I suppose one could make the lower barrel a bit larger and closer in diameter to the top's barrel, by cutting a small step in the lower barrel to fit the band....

Can one find a cigar kit with Euro style cap, instead of the squared off cylindrical cap?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe cigar uses 10mm tubes the european 7mm or 8mm tubes depending on the style and manufacture.

Andrew_K99

The European USUALLY (always, as far as I know, but never say "never" or "always") requires the material to be shortened to expose the brass tube for the centerband, then that component needs to be glued in place.
The Euro's I've done required a tenon to be cut in the blank, and not cut down to the tube. Glad you didn't say always :tongue:.

AK

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can always do away with the supplied centerband and make one out of contrasting material and make it the diameter that pleases you. Ditto on the cap make it out of something else and epoxy it in.

Dorno

Both are done on the same Mandrel only the bushes change. Things have changed alot over the years where as you will (as quoted before never say never) Rarely now require a different mandrel to make different types of pens you just have to buy other bushes.

Cheers ian

Top Bottom