What do you use thin/med/thick CA for? What's best

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Just wondering today about the varying viscosities we have available.

What do you use each of the grades for? I know there's a lot of preferences out there.

Lets say, you are gluing on an accent/oops band--- would you use med, thin, or thick? Which is supposed to have a stronger grip? Does one get more brittle over time than others?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I use the thin for quick setting or stabilizing soft/punky wood. I use the thick for glueing in my tubes, filling small voids and finishing.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thick for oops bands,when finishing antler I use all of them.
Of course I also use thick for gluing in tubes most of the time.

JimGo

I use thin for stablizing, like Monty. I also use it as a sanding sealer, and for times when I want an "instant" bond. I use thick to glue the tubes most of the time, unless I've had run-out problems or if I've improperly "approximated" the size of the drill bit, in which case I'll use poly glue. I've switched to using odorless medium CA for a lot of the other stuff I do, like my CA finish or mixing with sanding dust to fill voids, and if the fit between the tube and the hole is sufficiently close, I'll use that for the tubes, too. That stuff is great, but expensive.

JimGo

You know, that's not a bad idea Eagle. I had been buying the 2 or 4 oz bottles, but at the rate I've started using it, the 16 oz might just be a good choice. Thanks for the suggestion!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I look at it this way.
At Monty's prices I can store it in the fridge.It winds up about 1/2 the cost of a 2 ounce bottle(actually less) than my "local" supplier 40 miles away.(80 miles round trip)Even if 8 ounces goes bad(and it never has) I am still not out anything.
Monty has a good product, great service with shipping and he is a great resource for the site.
When you do the math its a no brainer.

redfishsc

Eagle is DEAD RIGHT. I just ordered 2 of the 2oz bottles (a thin and thick), and some de-bonder for the same price I buy ONE 2-ounce bottle at my local supplier. Shipping included! Gotta love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom