What do you cut segments with for segmented pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmyers4

Hi,

I've seen some really beautiful segmented pens on this site. It has inspired me to give it a try. What equipment do you recommend using to cut segments with? Do you use a table saw, band saw, miter saw? What sort of jigs make the job easier?

I suspect a table saw would be the most useful for this. It's one item I don't currently have. So I'm thinking about looking at some bench-top models. I don't need a big saw. I do have a small 10-inch band saw and power miter saw.

Thanks.
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

http://www.penturners.org/content/SegPenBlanks.pdf
I will answer your question with two quetions. What saws do you have and what saw do you feal most confortable with?
If you read the article Ron Mc uses a miter saw and posted at one time he had fits trying to cut segments on a table saw. I use a table saw and do not think I could cut on the miter saw without taking off a finger. If memory serves correctly the Jim Boyd and Ron Sardo both used scroll saws for their projects.
Partly it will depend on the design you are planing and the other part is what you are confortable with that can do the job. No matter which saw you decide to use plan on making jigs to enable you to cut the pieces safely. Some basic jigs are covered in the article and if you have questions or need help coming up with a suitable jig for the task just ask.

jdmyers4

Thanks for the replies.

To answer Mike's questions, I have a 10" delta miter saw, and a 10" band saw. For cutting small pieces of wood I think I would feel more comfortable with a table saw, using a sled or a good miter gauge (Kreg, perhaps?).

But I read the article by Ron McIntire and see he uses a miter saw. I'll give that a try. I'll definitely need to set up a jig of sorts to allow safer cutting. I've cut some blanks in half with it prior to getting my band saw, and it definitely does make me a little bit nervous having my fingers so close to the blade.

John

Originally posted by jdmyers4
<br /> Do you use a table saw, band saw, miter saw?

Simple answer, Yes to all three. Oh, and a scroll saw and a few other machines you wouldn't expect.

Not so simple answer, It all depends on how you want your pen to look.

Originally posted by jdmyers4
What sort of jigs make the job easier?

For the most part, I use sleds of different kinds and shapes. I use them on all my equipment and all are used for safety and repeatability when trying to cut small pieces. But wondering what jigs to use before you know what you want to make is putting the horse before the cart.

Here is how I like to do things...

- First decided how I want a segemented turning to look like.
- Figure out how I want to cut the wood.
- Decide which machine will work best.
- Decide if I need to build a sled to make the work both easier and safer.
- Make a few practice runs
- If I'm luckly, it all turns out the way I expected.
- Sometimes, I need to start all over.

BTW - I have a box full of goof ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom