Wedding Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I need to make a fountain pen for signing the register at a wedding and was thinking of combining pearlescent white and glitter black in some way by combining a couple of blanks in some flowing graceful way. Does anyone have any ideas on design/ technique/ penkit please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Some type of black Ti/N or black chrome kit ... possibly with Ti/N gold, chrome, or Rhodium accents ...
Majestic Jr in Ti/N Black + Rhodium Fountain Pen
This would probably be a lil over the top, but would certainly fit the bill.

I'ld say take a pearlescent white style of blank and put in a serpentine ebony veneer and hit the veneer with a high gloss shine topped with platinum pearl for a beautifully deep black sparkle ...
PSI's White and Black pearl might fit the bill for the blank itself ... if the black doesn't sparkle enough for you, hit it with a pearlescent topcoat sealed with CA? :)

Never tried it, but I hear that pearl over black is gorgeous.

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

Some type of black Ti/N or black chrome kit ... possibly with Ti/N gold, chrome, or Rhodium accents ...
Majestic Jr in Ti/N Black + Rhodium Fountain Pen
This would probably be a lil over the top, but would certainly fit the bill.

I'ld say take a pearlescent white style of blank and put in a serpentine ebony veneer and hit the veneer with a high gloss shine topped with platinum pearl for a beautifully deep black sparkle ...
PSI's White and Black pearl might fit the bill for the blank itself ... if the black doesn't sparkle enough for you, hit it with a pearlescent topcoat sealed with CA? :)

Never tried it, but I hear that pearl over black is gorgeous.
Thank you very much for your reply, sounds really nice, are you able to clarify what finish platinum pearl is, as I've never heard of it.

Skie_M

Used in the car painting industry... it's a pearlescent powder mixed into clear coat finish. Should be similar to a white or silvery mica pearl or pearlex?

It's how they get that deep looking sparkle finish on a vehicle's paint job.

Also, PSI now sells Mother of Pearl abalone strip cast blanks .... around 16 dollars each, but you'ld need more than 1 because of multiple tube sizes.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXMOP327M.html 27/64" is the largest one they have, and it's out of stock ... the Majestic Jr needs 10.5mm and 12.5mm barrels. It appears that they carry neither size, so casting your own or having them custom made would be your available choices.

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

If you do any casting, you might consider casting a blank with mother of pearl abalone strips. I think that the mother of pearl abalone blanks are perfect for a wedding pen. Here is some info on how to do that type of blank:

http://content.penturners.org/librar...wel_beetle.pdf
Thank you for your reply. I haven't got into casting my own blanks yet, that comes next on my list and the method in your article seems very advanced indeed. Can't imagine learning that in time lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jttheclockman

Made these bride and groom pens for my nephew. It is white and black mother of pearl.

Lovely pair of pens. Is that laser engraving?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes it is. Just about any of the laser engravers can do this. Mother of pearl blanks look great in person and make a nice wedding colors unless the bride is going with a theme color then you may want to follow that trend.

DJBPenmaker

Top Bottom