Using a skew left handed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm a southpaw, I hold my skew with the handle in my left hand and have my right against the rest and use it to guide the skew. I cut from left to right pulling the skew across. Pushing the skew from right to left is awkward for me. I'm starting to make smaller parts and am working real close to the collet chuck. Am I missing something and there is a different way to do this or do I just need to get used to pushing the skew or learn to turn right handed? Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I cut both right and left handed with my skew (and other tools)...from right to left and from left to right. The more one practices the more comfortable both ways become.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I'm a southpaw, I hold my skew with the handle in my left hand and have my right against the rest and use it to guide the skew. I cut from left to right pulling the skew across. Pushing the skew from right to left is awkward for me. I'm starting to make smaller parts and am working real close to the collet chuck. Am I missing something and there is a different way to do this or do I just need to get used to pushing the skew or learn to turn right handed? Any thoughts?

bradh

You should keep practicing with either hand. Ideally you want to be able to switch hands when the cut is easier one way vs the other. Such as when cutting near a collet or a chuck.
I like to work on the left end of the blank right handed and work on the right end with a left handed cut

alamocdc

I'm a righty and not ambidextrous. But like Don, I have trained myself to turn with either hand. It takes time and practice, but you can do it. Just stay with it. Practice on scrap turning coves and beads.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with Virgil . . . use both hands - but I'm ambidextrous so I can't help any more than say, practice, practice, practice. That's why I used a lot of Home Depot dowels till I got used to the skew - well, till I figured out if I was careful with a small gouge . . . you work how your comfortable as long as you're safe.

Chasper

When I cut from right to left with the skew, I turn the skew upside down, i.e., the pointed side is down. If I'm holding the skew handle in my left hand at the time, then I'm pulling the skew with my right hand.

Last edited:

edstreet

Do this, feel the tip of the skew, see which way the curl folds, that is the direction you need to cut from. It will change from time to time so check often.

You can look at the shavings/chips to see the difference is. Even by keeping some on the lathe bed or near by from older cuts you can compare them with the current cuts. This will be a superb indicator as to when you need to sharpen.

I use left handed and right handed myself. The other thing that no one mentioned yet is angle of the chisel makes a huge difference. Yes that will change in relation to the cutting edge.

Last edited:

edstreet

Any turner worth his/her salt is able to turn with either hand in either direction. It just takes talent and practice. P.

Some people can not walk and chew bubble gun at the same time. There is a hand eye coordination and a brain development factor to consider in there.

76winger

I'm a lefty but am also ambidextrous, so I'm blessed with being able to work both directions with no difference in difficulty. But as already suggested, the best answer will be to practice the opposite direction until you get acclimated to working in that direction as well. It will come quicker than you think.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
In making pens I use the skew 100 percent of the time, wood and acrylic. I always have the point pointing down (toward to floor) as that prevents digging into the wood if the point is facing upward. Maybe it is wrong, but it is right for me. When cutting to the right the right hand is the guide against the tool rest, and when going to the left my left hand is the guide against to tool rest.

alamocdc

Christopher, I actually did some skew work this afternoon to see if I could come up with anything that might help. So here goes. Some people tend to forget that skews AND gouges shouldn't be moved with hands and arms. What? One hand holds and guides the tool across the rest while the other holds the handle, keeping it firmly against the arm and body. When the tool is moved across the wood, your whole body moves it. The hand on the handle should only serve to present it to the wood and roll it from only riding the bevel to the cutting position. Then hold that position until a change in angle is needed. So when you cut in the opposite direction, your off hand isn't really doing anything but maintaining position or rolling the tool. Your body does all the moving laterally across the front of the lathe. If you are doing more with your arms, you are asking for a catch. I hope this all made sense.

KenV

Hey Billie--- some of us just cannot do "the lathe dance", so we have to do all those things we are not supposed to do.

I picked up one of Keith Tompkin's Skews from Packard. A few turners who I have a high regard for (including Keith) have been working with it.
Ew
Tis something of a hybrid, but seems a good bit on the more fool proof side of the learning curve. Changing hands and directions with the center point was smooth.

I am not selling or giving away my skews yet, by any means, but Keithy well may be onto something.

(Fot close in detailed work, hard to beat a small fluteless gouge and a 1/4 inch round skew.)

Last edited:

dankc908

I'm a righty and not ambidextrous. But like Don, I have trained myself to turn with either hand. It takes time and practice, but you can do it. Just stay with it. Practice on scrap turning coves and beads.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dan

azamiryou

I always use my skew right-handed (left hand on tool rest, right hand on skew handle), but I easily cut in either direction and with the point up or down. Hmmm, maybe I'll try using it left handed, too!

If your chuck is getting in the way, you can use spacers to move the work away from the chuck (if using a mandrel), or just flip the barrel around to work on the different ends (quick and easy if you're turning between centers). Stay safe! A spinning chuck - especially one with jaws - can really hurt you.

Top Bottom