upper barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

has anyone else had the problem where your upper barrel, specifically on the slimline and euro pens, wants to "slip" past the point when/where the tip is fully extended?

then when you twist it back to closed, the grain is all out of alignment? i made my first euro last night and it was particularly evident with that style. i ended up sanding the inside of the brass tube which seemed to help a little.

has anyone else noticed this and if so, what have you done to combat it?

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

i did it really lightly just to make some grit so it wouldn't slide so easily. i tested it about 10 times after doing it and it definitely made a positive impact.

its_virgil

Here is a fix for the slipping upper barrel on a slimline. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21253&whichpage=1#219850
You may even want to read the entire thread.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />has anyone else had the problem where your upper barrel, specifically on the slimline and euro pens, wants to "slip" past the point when/where the tip is fully extended?

guts

Andrew,that is very strange for me,I've never had one do that before,usually I have so sand or file the bumps on the tranny to get the tops to slide on.

DonWood

I have this happen on probably 75% of the time. I have been coating the inside of the top tube with a coat of thick CA glue. I use a q-tip and coat the upper tube - If it is not tight enough, I then put on another coat. If I get too much and it is too tight, just use a small brass brush a couple of times in the tube and you will be able to get it just right.

Oh yeah, let the upper tube dry completely, before putting the upper tube back on the pen. I normally let it sit overnight just to be sure. I sure don't want to glue it on permanently:)

Anyone have any other way they handle it. I have not had much success with the center punch. Every time I have tried it, I end up messing up the transmission. I am evidently doing something incorrectly.

Don Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom