two barrel and single barrel pens. Difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I'm starting out going with the two barrel slimline pens. I see a lot of single barrel pens being made. Are these done basically the same as two barrels? I presume that kits can be purchased for them also correct? Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I try to search but nothing looked familiar to what I'm wanting to know.
Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambodiver

Hi Bobby
Yes they're done basically the same way... I would consider some of the single barrel designs are actually easier for someone starting out - something like the Sierra (& equivalents) - a little more forgiving!
Enjoy pen turning!
-Bill

cdwrrtx

Yes, the process is the same. Some folks even turn two barrel pens one barrel at a time. Prevents the possibility of your mandrel flexing with the longer length of two barrels. Slimlines are cheap, but they can be more trying than other kits. When I started a few months ago, I was lucky enough to get a good number of kits as part of the used equipment I purchased. I quickly found that single barrel kits were more enjoyable to turn and depending on the blank, you can get two pens out of them. Do some research on the "Sierra" class pen and there are many options that use the same size tube giving you some flexibility in pen styling, but turn the same. Let me look on another computer, I think I have a link to a great article here about the different makes of "Sierra".

Found it - Sierra Styles

Last edited:

bsshog40

I will check out the sierras there Cliff. Some of those links in the thread were gone but I'll search for them also.
Ed, I will surely check out those vidoes. Looks like some good ones. I've watched quite a few on utube already but I like watching all the different methods people use. Thanks again!

Top Bottom