Turning Cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I was watching a video on YouTube last night and the person turning said you use cocobolo or a wood like it for your first turnings. I've cut cocobolo on my scroll saw and table saw an it a bit hard to cut on a scroll saw. And it's a bit of work to get a good fnish because of the oil. That being said. How does it turn and what kind of finish do you use.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ALexG

My first pen was a Cocobolo one, however I would use Maple instead, Cocobolo is beautiful but a little bit tricky to work with, is a very oily wood, requires lots of care for making pens because if you put too much presure the heat will break the blank, and for having a perfect finish with no scratches you have to work a lot on it, on the other hand its dust can cause allergy so use a dust mask

Dan Masshardt

Cocobolo turns beautifully for me. It finishes easily. You can just polish it up good and skip the ca for an easy win early on.

I've never had a blowout or
Major issue while turning it.

I use two methods, depending on what I'm making. Sometimes I just sand up to a nice fine grit and use eee paste wax and maybe a friction polish. (Shellawax type product)

I also use ca on cocobolo often. Wipe with acetone and you'll get most of the oil off the surface.

PaulDoug

I do not find Cocobolo difficult to work with. I love turning and building things with it. But pay attention to the statement above, "on the other hand its dust can cause allergy so use a dust mask". So true, if I don't protect myself from the dust I have a reaction to it. I still use it because I love the look, but I take care about breathing the dust.

Also I usually do not add a finish other than buffing and waxing.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I started turning in the mid 1990's, Cocobolo was not as expensive as it is now, so we used it for the slimlines that were the "major pen kit". However, all those who knew wood would comment, "You WILL develop an alergy to it, just a matter of WHEN!"

Since I had no allergies, I doubted the statement. Late 90's I developed the allergy, as predicted. I don't know anyone who has turned much cocobolo and has NOT become allergic.

Great wood, nice pen, use a mask and you will still develop a reaction to the wood.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to wear a mask. So far of all the woods I worked with I've only had a reaction to yellow heart, it breakes out my skin and it itches like crazy so I don't use it any more. I think I still have a small piece of cocobolo that maybe be enough for a pen, I'll have to cbeck when I get home from work.

JasonM

I've had lots of success with cocobolo. For me it turns easily, shines up nicely, and the patterns and rich colors draw a lot of attention.

My only knock on it is that if you get the finish too glossy, it can start to look fake and plastic-y. This is true for a lot of woods, but for some reason I really notice it on cocobolo.

Ed / Alex - Thanks for the allergy heads up. I don't know that I'm a prolific enough turner for that to be a short term worry, but it's good to keep in mind for taking precautions where possible.

Sylvanite

It is said that there are two types of woodworkers - those who are allergic to cocobolo, and those who will be.

The dust is a contact irritant, so try to keep it off your skin as well. Cocobolo is a sensitization allergen, which means you can have no problem for a long time and suddenly develop acute reactions.

For a first wood, I'd recommend something less toxic, like sugar maple.

Regards,
Eric

edstreet

Cocobolo works quite easy.

In fact it's like butter when you work it. sharp testing on cocobolo x264 - YouTube

[yt]http://youtu.be/E7QaAwlRaqM[/yt]

This is me putting a chisel to the test after it came off the water stones ;) This was one handed with the chisel and in that small time it cut about half way thru the block.

Oh and since it's 'oily' then use an oil finish. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom