Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

So I've decided to start turning between centers. I have a live center from PSI for the tailstock, but I looked all over and cannot find ones for the head.
Where do you guys get yours?

Thanks in advance!

StuartCovey

Thanks for all advice.
I got the Grizzly carbide tipped dead center from Amazon. I know I don't need the carbide tipped but there where no plain tipped one's on Amazon and I have Amazon Prime so one day shipping for only $4! The sooner I get it the sooner I can start turning again!

Last edited:

LagniappeRob

I'm not sure why Amazon has the HSS one Tom posted as more expensive than the carbide one. Probably some little bug in Amazon's pricing program. The one thing about them, the price never stays the same for very long.

LagniappeRob

Ditto to what Chris said with the addition that I do have a few TBC bushings from Laserlinez (Liberty, Sierra and something else) that are dead on. Those I go much closer to the bushing than the usual ones.

Dan Masshardt

I have tbc bushings for 80% of the kits I make.

Some standard bushings work pretty well just put between centers. Others not so much.

Some people cut 60 degree chamfers in their stock bushings.

Keep on mind that it's not all or nothing. You can still break out your mandrel anytime you want.

I just tried the mandrel shaft in a collet chuck and was pretty happy. Still one tube at a time though.

cwolfs69

Thanks for all advice.
I got the Grizzly carbide tipped dead center from Amazon. I know I don't need the carbide tipped but there where no plain tipped one's on Amazon and I have Amazon Prime so one day shipping for only $4! The sooner I get it the sooner I can start turning again!

you are better off with the carbide center any way. because unless your centers are absolutely perfectly aligned, you will still get a little "working" on teh center as it turns and will eventually wear the center or the bushing a little at a time. with the carbide any wear, even minute, will be on the bushing which is easier to replace or re-true than the center.

Jim Burr

Banned
Holy cow!!! Hasn't this been debated and posted to death?! This is everywhere on a search or the Library...of course.

its_virgil

FYI: One of the reasons to turn between centers is to avoid out of round pens caused by non-concentric bushings. Using bad standard bushings between centers will not solve the problem. So, be sure standard bushings are good and concentric. Using bad bushings between centers and getting out of round pens has happened. Just saying…
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Not sure yet. What do you think?

I use standard bushings, turn a bit proud, and then finish up without bushings. I don't like constantly measuring with calipers to see if I've turned down far enough. The bushings provide a reference point.

its_virgil

But going too far with bad bushings can't be fixed by finishing without them. There is a point of no return. I was just dispensing information. I have known more than one (actually several) person who thought turning between centers with their current standard bushings would fix their out of round issues. They didn't realize their bushings were non-concentric.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That's why even if you start with the bushing, you finish up without them.

SSGMEADER

What are you gonna do for bushings? Or go without?

Not sure yet. What do you think?

When I first started between centers I went with bushings. I invested 25-30 on digital calipers and now don't bother...The benefit here is is I want to try a new kit I don't have to spend money on bushings and wait for them to arrive. Calipers are always good to have in your turning toolbox anyway.

LagniappeRob

Provided you stay past the difference from the center of the tube and the center of the bushing, you should be able to pull it back in. But you need to know your bushings - some are better than others. I use them just to get in the ballpark without having to stop and check where I'm at.

I had one that was so visibly non-concentric that I wondered how they did it (easily > 1/8" off) ... I threw that one away.

its_virgil

I turn very little between centers because I do not have out of round issues. But when I do turn between centers I do not use bushings: just the live center, dead center and calipers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

StuartCovey

Alright, sounds like I'll start with bushings for reference and then finish without them using a caliper.

Thanks Guys!

StuartCovey

you are better off with the carbide center any way. because unless your centers are absolutely perfectly aligned, you will still get a little "working" on teh center as it turns and will eventually wear the center or the bushing a little at a time. with the carbide any wear, even minute, will be on the bushing which is easier to replace or re-true than the center.

This makes sense.

StuartCovey

Alright, I received the dead center today and got my lathe setup. Will be doing a Honeycomb blank on it tomorrow.
Heres some pics

Thanks everybody for all the help!

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Last edited:

Bean_Counter

Holy cow!!! Hasn't this been debated and posted to death?! This is everywhere on a search or the Library...of course.

Come on, be nice... Santa is watching! He was asking where to buy one, not if he should use it or not. There's not much debating going on here. He's already made the decision to buy.

Even if it was a debate, if you don't like it don't read it! :smile-big:

InvisibleMan

I seem to remember all of my troubles going away when I threw all of my bushings of any and all type into a bag and into the back of a closet. Anything other than the workpiece between centers is a potential problem as far as I'm concerned.

Use one of those deburring tools before starting, and don't tighten down on the tube too much!!

StuartCovey

Well, I finally got some time to turn a pen between centers. I'm doing an Atrax Rollerball. So far I've gotten one half done and working on the second. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

So far I'm liking it, the pen is a lot more even than the one's I was doing on the mandrel!
I'm doing it completely without bushings, which is working pretty well for me.

sschering

I'm about 75% on the bushings running true.. Most I have are good but the new set I got with a kit I picked up at woodcraft stink.. It's not hard to check.. Just run them between centers with a tube and see if they run true or wobble.

I have one set of the good TBC bushings.. those are the way to go if a set is available. I never had a mandrel.. I did TBC from day 1.

StuartCovey

I'm about 75% on the bushings running true.. Most I have are good but the new set I got with a kit I picked up at woodcraft stink.. It's not hard to check.. Just run them between centers with a tube and see if they run true or wobble.

I have one set of the good TBC bushings.. those are the way to go if a set is available. I never had a mandrel.. I did TBC from day 1.

Most of my bushings are at least a little off, some are extremely bad though.
I don't have any for the Atrax so that's why I didn't use them. I might never use bushings though, cause its working pretty good for me without.

Dan Masshardt

Most of my bushings are at least a little off, some are extremely bad though. I don't have any for the Atrax so that's why I didn't use them. I might never use bushings though, cause its working pretty good for me without.

The tbc bushings from john Goodin are not off at all Unfortunately, he's not really producing new ones right now I've been pretty happy with those from lazerlinez as well

But you are certainly saving some money if nothing else to turn without bushings

Personally, I can't stand constantly measuring There are so projects where I have to, but it gets old for me fast

Top Bottom