Top 5 pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

For me its just a hobby but it would be slimline, comfort, euro, cigar and classic twist. I sell all of them almost equally but this is the order of price from low to high. Then again, most of my pens are sold at a lower price because its mostly word of mouth or from other donations, and I target mostly average working people who either cant afford high end pens or dont want to spend a lot of money.

OldWrangler

By far, my best selling pen is the Casing pen with Antler top. Then come the Sierra click, Baron rollerball, Designer and Cigar. It works out this way because I make no slimlines, I don't make many Cigars but the other 3, I really like to make and so I have many more of them for customers to choose from. People buy what is available and I've never had a customer ask for a "churchill" or a "comfort" or anything else that I didn't show them.
Damn, it's my hobby, they should buy the things I enjoy making. The customer isn't always right and sometimes needs a little guidance.

redfishsc

Cigar, Baron FP (the two take up 80% of my sales), 7mm types (most all varieties), Zen, and the occasional Sierra.

There is just something about that cigar pen. I love making them and people love buying them!

bitshird

Slimlines-Sierras-Cigars-Carbara-El Grande/Churchill, but like Oldwrangler these are what I like making, with the Sierras Carbara/Atlas/Polaris and Cigar I try and add in a Gel refill, on the El Grandes I try and convert to a better nib or up grade rollerball refill

Buzz

Slimline, Streamline, Sierra, Cigar & Baron.

* Because we have a retail outlet in the city centre, we sell a lot of Slimlines and Streamlines in local timbers to the tourist and corporate sectors.

Chasper

It isn't the kit that sells, it is the story behind the pen blank, the craftsmanship, the buying experience, and the wow appeal of the finished pen. With that in mind, the top five sellers for me are:
1. Segmented
2. Wood with historic value
3. Antler
4. Bethlehem olive wood
5. Resin encapsulations like snake skin, shredded money, spices, truestone, etc.
Also
1. Exotic wood sells if the pen is flashy, it doesn't sell just because it is exotic and rare.
2. Everyday domestic woods are consistently good. Buyers like walnut, oak, cherry and whatever was in their yard where they grew up.

Turners buy pen kits, pen customers buy the thrill of owning or giving a unique and well made pen.

heinedan

Favorite Pens

Hello,

Up to now, I have not sold any pens yet, but my favorites are:

1. Jr. Gent II
2. Sedona
3. Baron
4. Cigar
5. Euro

Just my 2 cents worth,
Dan

redfishsc

It isn't the kit that sells, it is the story behind the pen blank, the craftsmanship, the buying experience, and the wow appeal of the finished pen. With that in mind, the top five sellers for me are:
1. Segmented
2. Wood with historic value
3. Antler
4. Bethlehem olive wood
5. Resin encapsulations like snake skin, shredded money, spices, truestone, etc.
Also
1. Exotic wood sells if the pen is flashy, it doesn't sell just because it is exotic and rare.
2. Everyday domestic woods are consistently good. Buyers like walnut, oak, cherry and whatever was in their yard where they grew up.

Turners buy pen kits, pen customers buy the thrill of owning or giving a unique and well made pen.

Good points, well spoken.

woodtreker

Favorite Pens

So far I have made the Euro (both pen and pencils), Slimline, Tony Twist, Soft Grip (with and without the soft grip)... I haev not clue what a Sierra Pen is o reven where to get it...

So far all my pens have been the 7mm which allows me to mix parts and share the turned blanks pretty easily between styles...

I have tried to get the Wall Street pen from Woodcraft but they did not have either the bushings or drill bits...

I have gobs of deer antler and want to turna more "elegant" pen that does not cost an arm and a leg to buy the kit... Suggestions????

JAB1

A Sierra pen is a very elegant pen....I think it is carried by Berea Hardwoods, Bear Tooth Woods, and ( maybe) Arizona Silhouette.....I have ordered a few and cannot wait to make them....

I do not know why you are having problems getting the Wall Street pen stuff from Woodcraft....I bought bushings from them along with the kit recently....

Your deer antler would work on any pen kit....try the Sierra...not too pricey...hope this helps.....Allan

Top Bottom