Tool rest sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alexkuzn

I am going to make some tool rests(straight top) for myself.
What are most common tool rest top lengths for pen turning?
Since I am going to heat treat tool rest tops myself I want to make a batch of all lengths and heat treat them together.

Thanks,
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I made my own. I ended up with 3", 4" and 6". If you are going to do any spindle turning, longer stuff, you may want to consider a 8" or 10". I sometimes wish I'd made one just under 3", maybe 2 1/2" for BCB turnings. The 3" doesn't quite fit in between the live center an drive center.
My 2 cents.

alexkuzn

Thanks for your reply.
What do you think about hardened tool rest tops? I just found that for some unknown for me reason some cutting tools with inserts are "Not recommended for hardened toll rests" I wonder why?

Thanks,
Alex

d1carter

My guess is that if the hardened tool rest top is harder than the tool, then you will wear a tool that is used resting in the same spot on the tool rest. Those tools that are sharpened will be using a different spot as they are shortened by sharpening. Does that make sense?
All the best.

Don

wood-of-1kind

Have you considered making these on a "modular" design basis? I use a common post that is interchangeable for 3", 6" and 8" top. I prefer round vs. using angle.

alexkuzn

Have you considered making these on a "modular" design basis? I use a common post that is interchangeable for 3", 6" and 8" top. I prefer round vs. using angle.

Yes it's modular. Post is 1" diameter with top part of the post threaded. Top is a rectangular bar 1.3 thick with a threaded hole at the bottom. Top is vertical steel bar (not angled like on some tool rests)that you just screwed on post.
Horizontal corner(of the top part of tool rest) that is facing turner will be rounded.

About shape of the rest tool... I've read a book on wood turning (can't remember the title) and the author had a very strong opinion that the best shape is a straight bar of steel with top corner facing turner rounded.

He explained that since the highest point on tool rest(it's fulcrum on which chisel is rocking) is very close to workpiece you have bigger leverage, better tool control, less vibration etc.
With round bar style top you move fulcrum point away from your workpiece by half of diameter of your tool rest top.

Since I don't have much turning experience I'd like to hear your opinions.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

alexkuzn

Another question, sorry.
What is your experience with light vs. heavily build massive tool rests.
My guess: the heavier the better. Just like with any other metal or woodworking machines. More metal and mass means less vibration and more rigidity.
Is there any disadvantages for heavy tool rests?

wood-of-1kind

Hi Alex,
I've tried both the square & round variety toolrest, although I can't offer a scientific testament why 'round' is better, I personally prefer it. I use mine to guide the skew (SKOGGER) and does not require to provide heavy support. The tool(SKOGGER) absorbs the pounding. In this case, a heavier(mass) is not a requirement for my turning technique.JMO

GBusardo

Hi Alex, If you are going to go through the trouble of making your own, I would take Stevers advice and make a 2 1/2 inch one. It will come in handy.

Top Bottom