Tip for "gummy" pen trannies, especially cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I've noticed that most twist pens can be a bit unpredictable in how their twist mechanisms work--- some twist very easily, some don't.

Sometimes it's due to a bit of glue stuck inside the brass tube of the upper barrel, but sometimes that's not the issue. I suspect the grease they put in the twist tranny is rather thick.

For a couple years I've been putting a few drops of lube down inside the tranny to "loosen" it up. I've found spray lubes like WD40 and LPS being too liquid and made the tranny too lose IMO.

The stuff below, however, is just right. One or two drops in the top of the twist mechanism, twist it a few times to work it in, and viola!

Add to that, this stuff is like $2 for a 4 oz bottle at Lowe's.

yhst-11353365108554_2008_341791922

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by redfishsc

I've noticed that most twist pens can be a bit unpredictable in how their twist mechanisms work--- some twist very easily, some don't.

Sometimes it's due to a bit of glue stuck inside the brass tube of the upper barrel, but sometimes that's not the issue. I suspect the grease they put in the twist tranny is rather thick.

I believe it is cosmoline; a standard packing/shipping grease for metal parts. I wipe the outside of the tranny with denatured alcohol (DNA). If the tranny is stiff, drip a few drops of DNA into the mechanism. Wipe off the tranny, and it twists nicely! Of course you want to do this before assembly.

bruce119

Some of them are really sticky. I just put a drop of laquer thinner in the trans. work it a bit and blow it out with the compressor. Just trying to thin the grease a bit not get rid of it. I mite give the liquod wrnch a shot.
thanks
Bruce

redfishsc

Bruce, there are plastic components inside those trannies (from what I can see) and I'd worry about the lacquer thinner damaging the plastic, though if you've done it before on a number of pens with no problems, the plastic must be resistant to the amount of thinner you're using.

Top Bottom