Thin Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a customer that wants avery thin postable rollerball. The thinnist I have founf is the Screw Cap Rollerball Kit at Woodcraft. But they want thinner, no black plastic and titanium/platinim/Rhodium plating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

I have a customer that wants small diameter pens as well. It has been a challenge to find what one with smaller center band that will not distract from the pen. I have tried a few New Series from Berea that I bought from Beartooth Woods. They are smaller but the center band is pretty wild for her.
I have attached a mother of pearl trustone that I made last fall.

Attachments

• 598 Bl Mother of Pearl.jpg
    598 Bl Mother of Pearl.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 320

Robert111

I like the Artisan from CSUSA shown below. Only problem is it's only available in gold plating. It's on 10mm tubes, about the thinnest rollerball I know of.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 271

ghostrider

I have a customer that wants avery thin postable rollerball. The thinnist I have founf is the Screw Cap Rollerball Kit at Woodcraft. But they want thinner, no black plastic and titanium/platinim/Rhodium plating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ever since Smitty37's pen swap, I've been looking into the Streamlined American from Berea, as well as the Flat Top. From what you describe, I haven't been able to find anything that meets your requirements.

The New Series comes close, but only comes in Upgrade Gold, and Chrome.

If you don't like the center band of that, you can always use parts from the Flat Tops to make it all metal in a more plain look.

ghostrider

I asked the same question a couple of days ago, and I ordered these.

Streamline American™ - Screw Cap - Roller Ball Titanium Gold Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

They use a smaller diameter tube/drill, I have 4 coming, I'll let you know what I think.
Those are the same component sets as the ones that Smitty37 recently traded with some people, only they were sold by woodright, and labled as the "Signature" pen. I recently made two and actually kind of like them. They have the same look and feel as the old fountain pens that I've seen in antique stores, and are thinner than most using a "V" drill bit. A very nice thing about them is that it only takes 1/4 turn to post the cap.

I liked the pens he sent me so much that I ordered the rollerball version, and a couple of the New Series.

I also did some research, and it's based on the 1920's Parker Duofold. I usually prefer my kits to be all metal, but this one really grew on me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/dscn1181small.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Thanks for all the advice! I have made a couple of these but they were not thin enough or slim enough for the customer! Maybe I can try again and really make the barrel as thin as possible. :)

mrcook4570

Another possibility - any of the ballpoints that use a parker refill. Several companies make a capless roller refill that is a direct replacement for the parker refill. Several of those styles call for an 8mm (or 'O') drill and the barrel will be significantly thinner than the regular rollerballs.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not really

Classic Elite 2 from PSI is rather thin. All metal parts..no plastic.
Nice pen but I don't hink I'd call it thin...definately thicker than the PSI Traditional. I have a Classic Elite that I'm using right now and the '2' uses the same bushings so it can't be much different.

Top Bottom