Texas Flag Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jptruett

I was asked if I could make a pen colored and designed as the Texas Flag. One was seen at a silent auction and I was told that it was very nice. I have no idea what it looked like nor how to make one. Any suggestions?

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Jerry if it was around the DFW metroplex area, there is a good chance that it was one that Lyle Walden fabricated. He sells the Lone Star kit which comes already laser etched similar to the pen shown above.

Here is one I made.

2008227194550_snakes-texassmall.jpg

jptruett

Thanks for the information. The auction was in Conroe, down close to Houston. I have sent an email to Lyle Walden. I hope he has some more blanks like the one you made. That is a very pretty pen!! Will just have to wait until he responds.

Jerry T.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by jptruett

Thanks for the information. The auction was in Conroe, down close to Houston. I have sent an email to Lyle Walden. I hope he has some more blanks like the one you made. That is a very pretty pen!! Will just have to wait until he responds.

Jerry T.
Jerry, He should have plenty of blank sets depending on which pen kit you are using. He just changed email accounts so I sent him a note to check this thread, he should respond in a timely manner.

I agree that this is the nicest of the Texas flag designs around and just FYI I used the Jr Gent (shown) and Jr Statesman kits from Craft Supply for my flag pens.

lwalden

Jerry- e-mail sent. And if the silent auction was related to one of the various Banking or Ranching associations, chances are real good it was one of mine- I've sold at least a dozen of those to groups who use them as their contributions to the silent auctions generally set up to benefit the affiliated political action committees.

OldWrangler

The pen seen in Conroe was at the Sheriff's Fish Fry and made by me. The kit came from Lyle Walden for a Baron Pen Kit. Auction price was only $90. I had hoped it would bring more as it was donated to raise money for the Sheriff's re-election. The kit is $40 plus shipping and the baron kit about $10 more. Very easy kit to turn, I did another one today.

lwalden

Originally posted by OldWrangler

The pen seen in Conroe was at the Sheriff's Fish Fry and made by me. The kit came from Lyle Walden for a Baron Pen Kit. Auction price was only $90. I had hoped it would bring more as it was donated to raise money for the Sheriff's re-election. The kit is $40 plus shipping and the baron kit about $10 more. Very easy kit to turn, I did another one today.
George, thanks for the clarification- must have been a real recent auction, you haven't had those blanks very long! Kind of surpises me that Jerry would already have heard of it from whomever his source was, and I'm sure you're glad to hear your handiwork got good reviews. Those silent auctions can have big swings depending on the attendees. I've been told that a matching pen/pencil set on the cigar kit with the flag design only went for $85 at one of the Ranching association fundraisers, while on the high end a matching pen/pencil set on the Jr Gent (pencil/ballpoint) in the flag design went for $475 at one of the banking association auctions. Go figure.

jptruett

OldWrangler, you are right!! It was at the Sheriff's Fish Fry. My son is the DPS Lieutenant in that area and went to the event. He was very impressed with the pen, but working for the State of Texas, he said he couldn't afford to bid on it so he was hoping that maybe I could make him one. Now that I have Lyle's email address, I will contact him and order at least one blank. Thanks!

Jerry T

OldWrangler

Hi Jerry,

Just order the kits from Lyle. He does most of the work for you and makes it a very easy pen to make. I made another this morning and it took only 20 minutes and most of that was finishing. Make sure you tell him the kind of pen kit and ask him to drill the bottom for you. He is very accomodating. I wish the white half of the bottom was holly and not maple. Maple is a little off white and the finish seems to darken a little with waxing. And great service from Lyle. I gotta order more soon.

Top Bottom