Taking pens apart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have found that nut drivers fit the tubes quite well. Just whack the handle with a hammer till the parts fall off. Harbor freight sells punch sets also. They are cheap and work well.

mhbeauford

I need to take a Jr. Gent pen apart. Has anyone done one of these before and if so are they a pain to do? Thanks

Not too difficult, I use transfer punches that I got from harbor freight. Unscrew the mechanism, use a punch that will go in. Hold tightly and smack the punch sharply with a small striking tool I usually use a hardwood stick. I will take several sharp raps, I hold over a plastic bucket to catch the tip when it comes out. Turn over select a punch to fit the tube and repeat. similar for cap, remove top first then band. Note on first punch make sure the punch sets against the side of the tube and on top of the part that is pressed into the tube.

I disassembled a number of different kinds of pen, usually because I don't like the way it lined up.

If you don't have transfer punches, I have used drill bits and use the butt end. Punches are better! Good luck!:)

BlackPearl

I have found that nut drivers fit the tubes quite well. Just whack the handle with a hammer till the parts fall off. Harbor freight sells punch sets also. They are cheap and work well.

I have the Harbor Freight punch set and they work well but how do you hold the tube with out messing up the finish?

Do those vice grips that PSI sells work well? Has anyone tried them? Does anyone besides PSI offer them?

Inquiring minds what to know.

toyotaman

I have taken apart a Serriea pen before but not a Jr.Gent. I need to completely take it apart (both sections). I've had it for a while and I don't like the finish. I need it apart to re-sand and add a new finish and then reassemble.

JD Combs Sr

Not too difficult, I use transfer punches that I got from harbor freight. Unscrew the mechanism, use a punch that will go in. Hold tightly and smack the punch sharply with a small striking tool I usually use a hardwood stick. I will take several sharp raps, I hold over a plastic bucket to catch the tip when it comes out. Turn over select a punch to fit the tube and repeat. similar for cap, remove top first then band. Note on first punch make sure the punch sets against the side of the tube and on top of the part that is pressed into the tube. I disassembled a number of different kinds of pen, usually because I don't like the way it lined up. If you don't have transfer punches, I have used drill bits and use the butt end. Punches are better! Good luck!:)

I have the Harbor Freight punch set and they work well but how do you hold the tube with out messing up the finish? Do those vice grips that PSI sells work well? Has anyone tried them? Does anyone besides PSI offer them? Inquiring minds what to know.

I do what I believe Martin is saying he does, hold it tightly in my hand, yes it slips and I have to reposition it for each whack but my hand does not harm the finish. Sometimes it takes quite a few whacks because of the slippage but the part eventually knocks out. I have an old but clean towel on my pen assembly bench and I knock parts out onto the towel to prevent damage to them. I like the plastic bucket idea though, sometimes I miss the towel or it bounces off the towel.:redface:

JD Combs Sr

You can also invest in a small bag of balloons. The balloon part catches the part and the rubber top allows you a better grip on the body of the pen.
Yes, this IS my idea, no I did not read it somewhere, yes it does work.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Going to look into that method myself:wink:

randyrls

I have the Harbor Freight punch set and they work well but how do you hold the tube with out messing up the finish?

Do those vice grips that PSI sells work well? Has anyone tried them? Does anyone besides PSI offer them?

I just hold the tube firmly in hand with a bit of that foam rubberized honeycomb used to open jars, line shelves, or use as router pads. If your finish is cured fully, you will not have any problems.

Many gentle taps work better than one massive blow.

randyrls

You can also invest in a small bag of balloons. The balloon part catches the part and the rubber top allows you a better grip on the body of the pen.

Yes, this IS my idea, no I did not read it somewhere, yes it does work.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ed; That is a great idea.

dbledsoe

Balloons????? What a great idea. I take apart almost as many pens as I make, because you can never see that little flaw until they are fully assembled. This should help a lot.

ALexG

I have both the PSI punch sent and the vice grip, my only concern with the vice grip is that sometimes I'm not sure if I'm putting too much pressure in order not to damage the blank, so some times I use the vice and some others I just hold it with my hands and gently tap the punch with a small hammer

Why didn't I think of that??? :biggrin:
Great tip, Ed!

Top Bottom