Supplies?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomy2

I am a beginner to turning pens......made about 10 so far.....I was wondering where some of you guys and gals get your blanks and kits?? Of course I am looking for a good price..heheheh...Thanks in advance for the help!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Somewhere on here there was a place to submit reviews of pen supply vendors. I can not seem to find it now. If someone can point it out I would appreciate it as well.

In general I think you will find that some places have GREAT prices but limited selection while others have higher prices and better selection. For me, finding the place in the middle and keeping the prices on the lower end of the spectrum is a good approach. I have ordered from PSI and Pens of Color as well as having bought kits at a local store.

Pens of Color REALLY ipressed me with their customer service and value-add approach.

Just my $0.02 (minus applicable taxes and "opinion" fees)

Well see there! Ed already sent in the link. Thanks Ed.

Efletche

I am new to pen turning too and have ordered from Woodcraft for most of my kits. However, Penn State and HUT also sell an assortment of kits. If you get their catalogs, order the supplies form www.penturningz.com. They are a wholesaler of Penn State, HUT, & Berea. In fact, they routinely have the slim line kits on teir web site for $1.70 each. Mention me and I believe they said we both get some kind of discount.
-Ed Fletcher

tomy2

Wow!!...now thats what I call a fast response!! Thanks guys!! A shopping I will go!!!![:0]

G

ANother vote for Ryan and Jason at woodturningz.Just got off the phone with Jason. Great service,knowledgeable,and always eager to help.
If you leave a message they will actually call yo back!.
I have paired up Woodcraft and kits I have received from PSI through them and you cannot tell the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ryan and Jason and Fritz at woodturningz are definitely good people to work with. Another source with personalized service is Ernie MacFarlane at Beartoothwoods.com. Ernie also has some nice blanks at reasonable prices. He sells many of the Berea kits at reduced prices.

William

[:0]Hi Ed,
I can not agree with you on the fact that PSI & woodcraft kits are the same. If you check the Woodcraft pencile you should see it is shorter than any one else's. PSI.,Pens of Color and Woodturninz are all the same Pens/Penciles.
[;)]Just Charlie

melogic

I agree with Charlie. Woodcrafts european pencils are a very high quality schmidt. That's why they are twice as high as say PSI. PSI's quality is about the worst I've seen. In my last order of 40 pencils (european) about half of them had longer tops on them. I did not realize this until I put them side by side with the matching pens and they looked ridiculous beside each other, the pencil top longer than the pen top. The overall length was the same. All I got from PSI was that I mixed up the tubes. Yeah right! I would not put together another PSI kit if they gave it to me. That's just my opinion.

Scott

I sometimes buy directly from Craft Supplies and Berea. I really don't buy directly from PSI. But I do buy most of what I need from either Bill at Arizona Silhouette or Ryan at Woodturningz, and occasionally from Sheila at Pens of Color. I can heartily recommend each and every one of these places!

Whose kit you use for any particular pen should be based on your own needs. I mostly like kits from Craft Supplies and Berea. They are consistently of a high quality. But I also use some specific kits from PSI, and not just because they are cheap. My favorite slimline kit is a titanium gold from PSI. Use your own experience and buy the kits that meet your needs.

And Mark, it's OK to tell of your experiences with a particular kit, good or bad, like you did above, but lets leave it with that, allright?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom