Suggestins for a decal pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I have a request to have these 6 hats on a pen - too many. My first thoughts are decals. I can have all the images of the hats reduced in size as a group by a guy to a single frame sized to 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/4 inches which wil fit the barrel - aspect ratios of the icons will be maintained. Multiple images on the Textors sheet as not keen in cutting each icon separately but in frames.
I was thinking of printing the image with a lazer printer instead of ink jet( found from this forum) on Textors clear water slide decals (1 1/2 inches by 2 1/4 inches) and wrapping around a under sized barrel for the Zen or Elegant Sierra kits for CA build up and finish to bushing size. Would appreciate advice on colour of wood (as there is a white hat in the group), how would the the clear part of the decal surroundig the hats blend or can be removed. As this will be my first attempt with decals would like to get some guidance.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Six thinking hats[2].jpg
    Six thinking hats[2].jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PAPenman

They all have white in them, so either print on white instead of clear or they all will have background color.

dexter0606

If you print on white you will have to trim the decals carefully. You will see all of teh cut out decal unless you apply it on a white pen.

bitshird

So why not use a white background and clear decal paper, you can paint the tubes white or mix up some white PR, turn it down then apply the decals then put the CA on.
This was done on a white powder coated tube the decals which were done on clear paper with an ink jet and sprayed with two coats of Krylon crystal clear acrylic were applied then painted with CA, then cast in one of New London 88's Resinsaver molds, it's extremely easy to do and the results turn out pretty good for an old hack like me.

Attachments

• VW-Dead-3.jpg
    VW-Dead-3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 246
  • VW-Dead-2.jpg
    VW-Dead-2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 227

ldb2000

White Acrylic would work well or you could use a white washed wood like maple . The advantage to white washing the wood is that depending on how thick a coat you put on the grain of the wood could still show through . You could use a milk paint or a thinned white acrylic paint and seal it with a coat of CA then apply your decal and put a CA finish over it .

Stephen

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am not going to venture into casting as I am not confident. I will try white acrylic and clear and white decal paperand ordered Testors decal papers.
Thanks again.
Stephen

Texasbeachbum

Just make sure that the decal paper you use is for a laser printer!! If not the decal will melt when printing and ruin a good laser printer.DAMHIKT

AceMrFixIt

When using clear, any grain will show thru the decal. Try it on both white and clear. The ca will hide the decal edges after a few coats. If you need to, copy and paste the image to Paint program and you can copy each hat and arrange them as needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom