Steb Center???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamsam

I read on the boards to use a steb center to turn down deer antlers. What is a steb center, and where can I get one? I'm a novice to the pen turning craft and totallly hooked on it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

A steb center is a like a cup center except the the rim of the circle is serated to bite into the wood. You can find them almost anyplace wood lathes are sold. Woodcraft, Rockler, CSUSA, and PSI all carry them as do many other sites. If you go to the websites for any of the above mentioned companies you can see a picture of them.

Hopefully one of the other member's will be able to post a link directly to the graphic for you as I don't have the time right now.

Good luck.

M

Mudder

Woodcraft sells them if you have one close by. If you are ordering then CSUSA has the better price.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5082

J. Fred Muggs

Sam, as you can see from the links posted, the Steb center is rather expensive. As an alternative, consider buying a "dead center", the old style cup center from Sears at $7.99. Grind your own serrations in the edge to provide the bite. The difference is that the Steb has a spring loaded center point which makes production turning without ever turning the lathe off easier. But, I presume, you're not planning to do production antler turning, so why spend $55.00 more than necessary?[:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A money saving tip I received from another forum.
"Steb" centers are relatively expensive( especially if you buy them at WoodCraft)
Sears sells a "cup" center with M2 for about $8.00.(this is made for the tail stock but is not a live center).
Scallop the "cup" with a round file or Dremel tool and you have saved approximately $30.00
I wish I had seen this before I gave WC my money.[xx(]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />A money saving tip I received from another forum.
"Steb" centers are relatively expensive( especially if you buy them at WoodCraft)
Sears sells a "cup" center with M2 for about $8.00.(this is made for the tail stock but is not a live center).
Scallop the "cup" with a round file or Dremel tool and you have saved approximately $30.00
I wish I had seen this before I gave WC my money.[xx(]
Sorby Steb center
web5082big.jpg

Craftsman tailstock cup center
00929847000-dlv.jpg

The online price for a Sorby 1/2" steb center at WC is $69.00
The online price for a Sears cup center is $7.99
I realize the Sorby center has a spring loaded pin in it whereas I don't believe the Craftsamn does(there really isn't any need for itfor the use you describe)
There are other "Steb" type centers and perhaps they are less expensive.
I can scallop a lot of scallops for $61.00!

Rifleman1776

First: Stop at bank and get a loan. [:p] Steb centers are expensive and generally unneeded by most woodturners and, I can't see a need for penturning. The trick with antlers is finding a line to drill through the center. If you do that without coming out the side, the rest is pretty much like turning any blank. High speed, light touch with small gouge. The debate continues on the best way to finish.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />First: Stop at bank and get a loan. [:p] Steb centers are expensive and generally unneeded by most woodturners and, I can't see a need for penturning. The trick with antlers is finding a line to drill through the center. If you do that without coming out the side, the rest is pretty much like turning any blank. High speed, light touch with small gouge. The debate continues on the best way to finish.

In turning antler where I am trying to get staghorn
2005526175440_antlercasing6%20001.jpg
<br />

I have found it easier to rough turn on the lathe and drill with a Beall collet on a lathe.The Steb or steb type center is invaluable for this.A regular chuck will tear up the antler if it catches.

For antler that is solid with no hope of stag horn I square them on the bandsaw and drill on the DP.

As far as finishes goes there is no debate.
I like the method I use.
That method is to realize each antler is unique and is is not possible to say THIS is the way to do it.
Some antler witll feel like marble after MM.
Some is so porus you need CA just to look at it.
DCP_1731.jpg

There is some that is a combination of both or none of the above.
When one method doesn't give me the results I want I keep at it until I get the final results I Do.
Like I said there is no debate.
There is no one way to finish antler.
No 2 pieces of antler that I have turned and finished are exactly the same.
I like my steb steb type center for preparing antler.
Since I started using it on the pieces I used to to think were questionable as to whether they would be large enough for a paticular pen, I have had less blow outs, less drill holes through the sides and more interesting looking pens.

Rifleman1776

No debate!!?? Why continue living? No debate, what's the point of going on? [:p][:)] You've pierced my heart. [;)] Actually, Eagle, you have probably done more antler than anyone else here. Results are not debatable. But, I won't let that stop me. [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />No debate!!?? Why continue living? No debate, what's the point of going on? [:p][:)] You've pierced my heart. [;)] Actually, Eagle, you have probably done more antler than anyone else here. Results are not debatable. But, I won't let that stop me. [:D]
We could always debate on how many angels can dance on the cap of pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom