Starting up again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seht

So I am just getting back into turning after an 8 year layoff and I have decided that some of my tools just aren't cutting it any longer.
Specifically my drill press. It doesn't have a long enough throw to get all the way through a pen blank in one pass. I end up having to adjust the press and make a second pass to drill all the way through.

Any suggestions for a drill press that won't break the bank that has a longer throw?

Also any suggestions for a small band saw?

Thanks,

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

The porter cable floor drill press has a long throw and I believe is around 300. I have one and like it. Model 6600P or something like that.

dthayer

You might also consider using your lathe to drill the blanks. My drill press was also too short when I got into this a few months back and since I didn't have the money for a new lathe AND drill press, I used the lathe thinking eventually I would upgrade the drill press. I love the lathe for drilling and won't be upgrading the press any time soon! :)

TonyL

I actually found my lathe to drill more accurately over long distances. Good point Dirk. My drill press has very little run out (I measured it), but the lathe still beats it.

TonyL

I have extra set of pen jaws (without the tommy bars..somehow I broke them, but you can still stick something in the holes). If you would like, I will ship them to you (I will even pay for shipping) and try drilling on a lathe. If you like drilling on a lathe and have a Jacobs chuck, you can go that route...just return the pens jaws when you have had a chance to try them out.

TimS124

Rikon offers a large drill press with almost 5" of quill travel. Works great! Harbor Freight has a very similar looking drill for less money (I have no idea what the differences are, but it's clearly the same castings, etc).

Powermatic offers one with even longer quill travel but the price is likely higher than that of the Rikon.

My little Jet 1014VS sometimes drills great and sometimes creates more problems than it solves.

Plus, since the lathe has to spin the blank when you drill there, it's much more difficult to use the lathe to drill certain funky blanks like antler tips where the blank is curved in ways that make them NOT what you want spinning during drilling (like the bottom two in the enclosed picture).

Attachments

• three antler styluses.jpg
    three antler styluses.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give that lathe drilling option a try and see how that goes.

If you want me to send you the pen jaws, just PM your address.

Top Bottom