slimline without a center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannmphs

Would there be anything special that I would have to do to make a slimline pen that does not use the center band? Make the top tube longer to take up the space?

I have an idea for a custom pen, but to do it I don't want to use the center band (or I could use a piece of the same wood as the center band but I want as few seams as possible).

Thanks

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Ryan, if you take the centerband out of a slimlline and put the pen back together, you will still have a functional pen. It will be a bit shorter, that is all.

The reason I make the top tube about 3/16" longer when I don't use the factory centerband is for looks. Look in my pic album, there are some pens I made that way.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You can either buy the generic tubes and cut to length or make a shorter pen by cutting the lower tube a little shorter, but if you do it that way.. you have to be careful about inserting the mechanism...

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I extend the top blank about 4mm to make up for the lack of centerband. Keeps the original look and feel. Remember, though, that the cap end needs to have the brass tube flush with it. Either leave the 4mm extra length in the center unsupported or cut a small piece of brass to fit inside it (my preferred method as the thinness of the wood would make it susceptible to breaking).

Fred in NC

For longer barrels I buy 10" long 7 mm brass tubes from Woodturningz. I cut them to size. Makes a stronger pen.

Cutting tubes is easier if you make a jig. Cut a blank out of soft wood, like pine. Drill your hole as usual. Then cut lengthwise so one side of the blank will be slit down to the hole.

This little jig allows you to put the tube inside, and clamp it in a vise with the slit on top. I use a razor saw from a hobby shop to cut the brass tube. The tube retains its round shape this way.

20051200404_tubecutt.jpg
<br />

I apologize for the pic, I will try to take a better one tomorrow.

its_virgil

I make the bottom longer when I don't use a CB. I get tubes for the euro and use the longer tube on the bottom of thje slimline. The transmission must be pressed in a little furhter. Sometimes I have made the top too short with a regular length bottom and the pen did not work. The longer bottom is pleasing to my eye, but, hey Fred, Your pens look great, so don't change what you do. It would be a boring place to hang if we all did the same thing. Diversity is in the house!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Ryan, if you take the centerband out of a slimlline and put the pen back together, you will still have a functional pen. It will be a bit shorter, that is all.

The reason I make the top tube about 3/16" longer when I don't use the factory centerband is for looks. Look in my pic album, there are some pens I made that way.

tipusnr

I don't lengthen either the bottom or top when I leave the centerband off. If anyone notices...they haven't said anything. In fact, they will fit better in some of the dress shirts that have shallower pockets.

Kind of no blood, no foul!!

ryannmphs

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

When cutting the long pen tubes can you use a pipe cutter, like the one used for your household plumbing, or does that not go small enough?

Thanks again.

Ryan

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The center-band serves a valuable function. It hides any differences in diameter, wood grain, and eccentricity between the two ends. Very small variances in any of the three become obvious when they are butted together without a center-band.

its_virgil

If the ends that meet are squared precisely with the tubes, the blanks can be butted against each other on the lathe and the diameters where they meet can be exactly the same and the seam is almost invisible. These aren't perfect, but are pretty darn close.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200512031511_spalted%20pecan.jpg
<br />
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />The center-band serves a valuable function. It hides any differences in diameter, wood grain, and eccentricity between the two ends. Very small variances in any of the three become obvious when they are butted together without a center-band.

woodscavenger

I like the idea of the bandless slimlines. I can buy the cheap slimline kits but make a little more robust and full like some of the other kits and not have them look like a woman with a corsett laced too tight. Right now I do have problem with the squareness issue, but I have a set of barrel trimmers on order so I hope to soon rectify the situation. I think I need a little fine tuning on my chop saw as well.

woodpens

Nice looking pens, Don. I personally prefer a separation material whether it be pick guard or knife separation material. It is awfully hard to make a seamless transition between the top and bottom. A fine black line, or whatever color you like, makes it look less like a mistake to me when the grain isn't perfectly aligned.

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I can buy the cheap slimline kits but make a little more robust and full like some of the other kits and not have them look like a woman with a corsett laced too tight.

Don't get too macho...The Corset was my most requested pen style last month with the ladies.

its_virgil

I am personally not a fan of the wasp waist pen, or the corset style. Lots of them are made and look nice and this is just a perosnal taste matter with me. As far as the CB or no CB, I have come to like some kind of CB as a transition between the two halves as Jum mentioned. Again, just a matter of personal taste. I don't see many of these modified slimlines sans CB. I put these up just to point out that a "no CB" look is possible. It doesn't have to look like a mistake. The transition between the two halves can be made to look like it was planned if that is the look one wants. I have become a real fan of picguard and other thin plastics sheets. Credit cards make a nice thin separation.

thanks for the possitive comments on the CB-less pens. I think those were the last ones I've made. I've become a real fan of Russ' takeoff on the KC twist, the russline and have tweaked it a little to make it a little more me. I make the bottom a little longer and recess the finial and clip a little. I also like Russ' fatline and do the same with it. Thanks Russ for the instructions. Here's another sample.
Do a good turn daily!
don

200512051447_quads.jpg
<br />

200512051542_gymfloor.jpg
<br />

its_virgil

Thanks again Jim. There is no end to what can be done with the slimline.....limited only by one's imagination. It is a very versatile and forgiving kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Very nice looking pens, Don. It is amazing what you can do with a slimline, huh? Good job!

Andy Ryan

I much perfer a slim lin w/o a center band. It allows a much more robust pen. For Those that have problems with thier hands it allows an comfortaable grip. I also shows the wood grain off more. You can see pictures of this in my album. I am waiting on a delivery from BB right now for some of the bigger pens to try.

Fred in NC

I think when we say "center band" we are referring to the skinny one that comes with the pens. But this is confusing, because we make center bands too, and usually they are not the skinny ones.

As far as the "kit center bands" goes, I make pens with and without the skinny bands. While a robust pen is easier to grip, I find some demand for skinnier pens too. For example, some women like to keep a pen INSIDE the checkbook. I make some slimlines with just a little curve in the barrels. They look better than the straight pens, and still fit in the checkbook.

My best selling slimlines look a lot like Don's gym floor pens above. Kind of like a KC or Russline pen.

its_virgil

Picguard is a plastic material of laminated colors that guitar makers use under the strings on the guitar to guard the guitar from the pic scratching it. Hence the word, picguard. Google pictguard or luthier supplies and you'll find some.
do a good turn daily!
Don
If you have no luck I'll postg a link later today.

<br />What is pick guard? By the way the credit card idea sounds cool. I am going to look around. Maybe my wife won't miss hers.

its_virgil

Here is a link to pickguard. Luthiers look at the surface color, but we use it for the edge pattern. I like the white/black/white, black/white/black, b/w/b/w/b, red/white/red/, yellow/white/yellow/, y?b/y and others similar. There are other sources. Searching on pickguard gives better results than picguard.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />What is pick guard? By the way the credit card idea sounds cool. I am going to look around. Maybe my wife won't miss hers.

esheffield

I have a few BOW slimlines without the stock CB in my album. I also cut new tubes from extra stock. Tried a tubing cutter first, but squished the ends too much and I had to ream them out a bit after that. May just be my technique. Use a razor saw now. I'll have to try that jig - I've been wrestling with them in the x-acto miter box.

Out of curiosity, I did a search for "pick guard" over at http://www.grizzly.com and turned up several results. Never used it myself, just remembered Grizzly has been getting into guitar stuff more and more. Their president's hobby apparently.

Eddie

Fred in NC

Eddie, my little tube cutting jig actually holds the tube with just finger pressure! Use soft wood like pine. I hold the jig in my vise.

10" tubes are available in 7, 8, 10 mm, and 3/8" at this time.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here's my favorite links for pick guard material. http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_pickguards_main
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickgaurds_g_material

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The next big decision after the pen is made with a perfect diameter and grain match - is it displayed with the writing tip extended or retracted??

Life must be good if that is all I have to worry about.

its_virgil

Retracted...the position it will be in most of the time and where most people will look at it. But, I understand...I spend lots of time trying to dicide on the same thing myself. And, yes, life is good.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />The next big decision after the pen is made with a perfect diameter and grain match - is it displayed with the writing tip extended or retracted??

Life must be good if that is all I have to worry about.

woodscavenger

I usually line mine up retracted. Here at home it doesn't matter however. My wife does not have an eye for wood and I usually get the "yea, so, it's a brown wood" look from her most of the time. Oh well, she got the looks, I got the woodturning skill. I'll take that trade off every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom