Sierra Tube Substitution Twist vs, Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

There is some discussion currently about the tubes for the two Sierra kits and if they are interchangeable or not. The main reason for the question is that the Sierra Button Click is a relatively new kit and spare tubes are not yet available.

I just got some click kits from BB and measured them up to see how they compare with the tubes from the Sierra twist kit. The short answer is the tubes from the two kits are different and not completely interchangeable.

Both tubes have the same ID/OD in the neighborhood of 0.390â€/0.408â€; but the lengths are different. The twist tube is about 2.208†long and the click tube is about a 1/4†longer at 2.423â€.

Now, most folks know that the click pen will accept either a standard Parker refill or a uni-ball 65873 refill while the twist pen will “ONLY†take the Parker. Since the uni-ball refill is about 0505†longer than the Parker refill one might immediately jump to the conclusion that the two tubes should differ by that amount. I did and I was wrong. The wild card, here, is that the propelling mechanism is different for the two kits so the pen geometry is different as well. To a certain extent, the length of the refills is immaterial. Based solely on refill length, you would expect the twist kit tube to be 0.5†shorter than the click kit tube. But since there is only about a 1/4†difference in tube lengths, it is apparent that the twist transmission is not quite so efficient in the use of the long-axis space.

What all of that means is if you mess up a tube from a click pen kit, you can’t just snag a tube from a Sierra twist kit and move on. You have two options to resolve the problem and both require a little extra effort. To keep the click pen in its original configuration so that it will accept either refill, you will need to cut the twist tube in half. Then you can insert the two pieces into a blank from each end and leave a short untubed section in the middle of the blank. According to my calculator, the untubed section will be a little more than 0.215†long if you cut everything perfectly. You would be safer to cut the blank a little longer than the required 2.423†so you have a bit extra for squaring the ends.

If you don’t care to retain the option of using the uni-ball refill and want to use the pen as strictly a Parker pen, you can use a blank that is about 1.918†long. This means you need to trim about 0.290†from a standard twist tube or make up a slightly longer blank and then trim it to the correct length.

I think all of the numbers are accurate; but, if someone else would like to double-check these figures, that would be great. I would not recommend that anyone use these exact figures as we all know there is some variation from kit to kit. If you have the need to make up a click right away and have messed up a tube, you should probably measure all of your parts to be sure there are no differences between your kit and mine.

To tell you the truth all of the above sounds like a heck of a lot of work to me for not much benefit. It was fun to take the measurements and interesting to do the calculations and I needed the measurements for my pen chart, anyway. But, if it were me, I would just buy another kit to make up and throw the tubeless one in a drawer until Bill gets his spare tubes in stock and then just buy a couple of replacements.

Obviously, using a twist tube can work for those who are so inclined; but I think most of us would be better off taking the easy out!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

The only issue I see with the click version is the little insert for the parker refills. I see a customer loosing it and then requesting another one. I'd almost just cut the tube so it can only take the parker refill. Then it wouldn't matter if these is a replacement tube for the click. According to your calculations I'd still have to remove a bit from the twist tube. I don't have a caliper handy, but the insert is approx .5 inches long.

BruceA

Randy,
Help me understand your number of 1.918" for the Parker-length click tube. How did you come up with that?

I plan on using only Parker style refills, and this would reduce the overall length of the Click Pen, considering the extra length of the "clicker".

Randy_

Steve: You are exactly correct. There is a real possibility that some folks are going to loose that little spacer!! Although some folks haven't figured it out yet, even the manufacturer recognizes this possibility and includes a spare spacer to cover the possibility......should I say eventuality?? However, my guess is that most folks will squirrel that spare away some place and won't be able to find it when they need it.

Personally. I like the uni-ball refill better than the Parker refill so it is not an issue for me; but I agree with you that If someone wants to use the Parker refill exclusively, I would shorten the barrel a little so the spacer was not needed. Shortening the barrel would take all of an additional 30 seconds of crafting time and has the possibility to avoid a future headache for a customer.....seems like a no-brainer to me.

(Note: The Pilot G2 refill, which I like even better than the uni-ball, is about 0.05" shorter than the uni-ball refill and could be used in the button click pen as well with a little work. That way, you would have the option of three different refills.)

BTW, you nave a pretty good eye. The spacer is actually 0.505" long excluding the length of the little pin on the one end. It is not even obvious to me what the little pin is for? Maybe it will become evident when I have assembled a kit; but the kit instructions don't even address the orientation of spacer. I don't know but what that little pin is just a manufacturing remnant that was easier to leave in place than to remove. I'll have to check with Bill tomorrow for an explanation or maybe someone at IAP already knows the answer.

Randy_

Bruce:

You subtract the length of the spacer which is about 0.505" from the length of the click tube which is about 2.423" and it works out to 1.918".

I want to re-emphasize that you should measure up your own kits just in case they vary from my kits.

n7blw

The little teat on the spacer is for insertion into the hole in the top of the Parker refill. The friction fit in the hole keeps the spacer from falling off if/when the pen is disassembled.

BruceA

I have successfully converted a Sierra Button Click to a Parker-only style refill by decreasing the tube/blank length by the size of the little spacer.

The original tube in the kit I have is 2.424". The spacer, not counting the little teat is .507". Subtracting the spacer equals 1.917" tube length.

I took a finished standard size blank (2.211") and crudely sanded it down to 1.907"(a bit further than the 1.917" calculated...), put it together, and it works like a champ.

The finished length with the refill unextended looks exactly the same length as a standard twist Sierra. The total body length not counting the top clicker is about .300" shorter than a twist Sierra.

So..."Yes, Mildred", it can be done. Makes a nice compact little package. The final proportions are open to aesthetic comparisons - not quite as elegant and slender looking as a standard twist Sierra, but certainly acceptable for those compelled to click!

Jarheaded

If you do decide to change the tubes, all it requires is grinding the little spacer down a bit shorter. I have done a couple of them because the click pen looks very long next to a standard twist.

Top Bottom