Sierra Pen Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Recently I have had some problems with Sierra pens and am wondering if any of you have had the same problem and what you did about it.

1. I have several complaints about the nib end of the pen coming unscrewed very easily - in pockets or in purses. This has happened to both click and twist types but mostly twist types. I have had to repair 4 in the past three months. To repair I have simply replaced the nib section and tell the customer they have to put it on really tight!

2. The sleeve on the nib section comes loose and just spins around I have replaced two black titanium and platinum nib sections and two satin Chrome nib sections because of the loose sleeve.

I have either sold or gifted 15 of these pens in the past 4 months with the problems mentioned above. I am getting afraid to sell this pen and I just got a critical order for 20 of them! I would sure like to find a fix before I send them out! Anyone have any ideas on how to fix/prevent this?
Your help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I had the spinning nib section problem - but the owner admitted that his brother had used the pen as a punch (hit it with a hammer).

I know that doesn't help, but was a funny story.

Dave

Dolphinjon

I was having this problem as well. Two things have helped me:
1) using blue Loctite to help parts stay together better
2) and mostly switching to LeRoi kits from Smitty's Pen Works. They're all either click pens or finial twists. I've had fewer problems with pieces coming loose or the transmission getting shoved up into the pen when people aren't careful with it.
Just an idea. If you're a member of Smitty's, you can tray a starter pack pretty affordable.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I put a few dabs of epoxy on the top end of the transmission before pressing in. Let it sit for a day and then you can tighten it just by twisting. Had many failures before I started doing this and none after. Refill changes by unscrewing.

Mason Kuettel

I have found the times this has happened have been on pens that the tube had some sort of glue or residue in it and was too tight to the transmission. Quick cleaning and issue seems to go away.

Never thought of Bruce's solution, but I like it and may try it!

pensbydesign

have been seeing this problem lately too, i don't think the nib assembly was pressed together enough or the tolerance ant there anymore. i don't think it has anything to do with who u buy them from,

keithbyrd

I put a few dabs of epoxy on the top end of the transmission before pressing in. Let it sit for a day and then you can tighten it just by twisting. Had many failures before I started doing this and none after. Refill changes by unscrewing.

Now I'm confused!
How does putting epoxy on the top of the transmission keep the nib from coming loose/unscrewing? How does that make the threads hold any better?
I'm not having a problem with the transmission coming loose.

keithbyrd

I was having this problem as well. Two things have helped me:
1) using blue Loctite to help parts stay together better

Just an idea. If you're a member of Smitty's, you can tray a starter pack pretty affordable.

I can see the Loctite holding but after you change the refill a time or two won't it like before or does it leave a residue that helps to keep the threads snugged up?

Dolphinjon

It seems to leave a bit of residue. I did it to a pen my wife carries daily and it seems to have solved the problem. I actually got the idea from another member here, though I don't remember who off the too of my head.

keithbyrd

It seems to leave a bit of residue. I did it to a pen my wife carries daily and it seems to have solved the problem. I actually got the idea from another member here, though I don't remember who off the too of my head.

Thank you - that would be an easy solution to the coming loose problem - I will give it a try!

Did you put the loctite on and let dry then screw it together?

philb

The epoxy stops the transmission getting jammed inside the barrel/finial end when it comes unscrewed. I've had a few where people have been turning the pen and unscrewed the transmission then pushed it up inside the barrel, so transmission is too far up inside for the threads to mesh against the nib section!

Top Bottom