Shipping Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Angelo, Stan is totally right. Many fountain pen users (yes, include me) have stron opinions as to the inks they want to use. 99% of the time I toss the cartridges that come with the pens and include a convertor so the new owner can load the pen with an ink they like. I prefer Noodlers ink overall, but Private Reserve and the Waterman inks are also great to work with.

I actually mix my own ink. Also if I received a fountan pen with ink in it already besides the fact that it would probably leak out or splatter out in transet I would return it thinking it was used. Once a fountain pen nib is used it wares to that peticular person and his writing style. It will not write the same for another person.

rwyoung

Don't ship a loaded fountain pen. Even if the ink doesn't leak out, it could dry up and clog things. Not fun if the first thing the recipient has to do is clean the pen!

If the pen is for you and you aren't a big fountain pen user, here is my suggestion. At least this is the way I've been easing into it...

1) Make a fountain pen for yourself. Doesn't have to be the highest end kit, just something to learn with.
2) Go ahead and start with the cartridge ink. It doesn't take that long to run through a cartridge. From this I learned why most posters around here don't like the stock cartridge.
3) Get a converter for your pen. Colorado Pens or Lou or any number of a dozen other sources. Might even have been one in the kit.
4) Get some ink. Pelliken (did I spell that righ?) inks, I have learned, are considered "forgiving" inks. Supposed to be good for beginners as they aren't known for clogging nibs and write well on quality paper. Rather inexpensive and widely available too. Or you can jump right in and locate some Noodler's ink.
5) Learn to fill the converter cartridge. Check out the library here, good stuff to read!!!
6) Go ahead and break in the stock nib that came with the pen. If necessary, go through the steps to adjust it. The library has this information.
7) And now I'm at this step, I have a well running pen, and ink I like. Next is to figure out how to remove and replace the nib with a higher quality one (Lou again). Then go back to step 6 and enjoy the pen some more!!!
8) Branch out and try another ink and paper combination. Try another, try another...

YMMV and I'm just getting into using a fountain pen. Enjoying it TREMENDOUSLY!!! Get some funny looks from people at department meetings. They have out their laptops and PDAs. I have two degrees in engineering and I'm pulling out a nice pad of paper and a fountain pen. FYI, fountain pens boot up much faster than laptops. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom