Sharpening carbide cutters, Info Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dudstuen

Awhile back I remember reading about an IAP member that one could ship cutters too for sharpening but I have lost that information, Can anyone help me with who that is? Thanks in advance for all help.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_only_me

Awhile back I remember reading about an IAP member that one could ship cutters too for sharpening but I have lost that information, Can anyone help me with who that is? Thanks in advance for all help.

You can sharpen them yourself by getting a diamond slip and using figure of 8 movements on the diamond plate. It is far too easy to consider sending them away for sharpening, but if you have money to burn, please send them to me.

KenV

Hi Dave --

Sharpening of the flat carbides (as compared to the cup shaped carbide cutters) can be done on diamond laps, and as the laps are progressively finer, the edge becomes more fine .

There are some YouTube video by the DMT diamond lap folks that show how you can hone the flat and extend the life of the carbide.

There are folks that have the special gear to really restore the sharpness to new, but expect something around 80 percent or so with use of the diamond stones.

Warren Cutlery sells a diamond lap kit for finer grit polishing if you want higher percent of restoration.

Marko50

This is the best, hands down!

I use this too and it's the "Bees Knees"! I haven't had to buy new cutters in three years. One side is a 600 grit and the other is a 1000 grit. Just put a little lapping oil on it, put your carbide cutter insert face down and make 12 figure 8's. You'll have an insert that is as sharp as new or better!:)

...Just my .02¢

Paul in OKC

Might try cleaning the insert by using the same motion you would use on the diamond tool on some medium to fine grit sand paper. If the issue is generally super glue or resin, I would think this might work.
And yes, I do still sharpen tools and or inserts.

jttheclockman

I bought this and would use it if I could clean my cutters.

I bought the Trend Cleaner and even soaking the cutters overnight does not soften the "debris" on the cutters enough to sharpen them without clogging the diamond stone.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

You could try acetone and soak them.

This is what I use on my planer blades. Soak them overnight and ready to wipe clean in the morning.

121124.JPG

Top Bottom