Selling Antler Art In Pennsylvania

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys! I've been looking into selling stuff out of antler in pennsylvania, mainly pens, yet i can't find out if it is legal. i have googled it and i have heard everything, from yes to no. any help would be great!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

Ihave gone down this path, per the PA Game Commission, they stated that it is "ILLEGALLY TO BUY, TRADE,SELL AND BARTER" any part of the PA whitetail deer. I know this is also true in NC

I had asked the question, if I purchase my antlers from "OUT OF STATE" is that legal, and I was informed that as long as I keep a receipt on hand at all times where the purchase was made of the antlers, that is all that would be required.......BE CAREFUL ............BE HONEST.........

ps: I made the phone call to the game com. you may want to do the same,

MarkD

I looked into this last year prior to doing my first show where I sold pens that contained antlers. It wasn't real easy getting a straight answer but I finally spoke to someone in the PA Game Commission who seemed to know what he was talking about. He said it's ok to use antlers in a product as long as the antlers were taken legally in PA or if the antlers came from out of the state. The sticky part seem to be in determining if the antlers were taken legally. He pointed me to PA Code Title 58 section 147.146.G and PA Code Title 34 section 2312.
He said that if the antlers are from out of state it's ok to use them in products for sale in PA. Lucky for me I live on the NY line and get the antlers I use from NY.
It seems kind of silly to me but I'm sure that some time the law was put in place for a valid reason.

He said the main thing they frown upon is the buying and reselling of just antlers ( not sold as part of a product ) because it encourages people to take them illegally.

I do agree with the other comments to call, or better yet get it in writing yourself.

I hope this helps!
Good Luck

Last edited:

longbeard

I looked into this last year prior to doing my first show where I sold pens that contained antlers. It wasn't real easy getting a straight answer but I finally spoke to someone in the PA Game Commission who seemed to know what he was talking about. He said it's ok to use antlers in a product as long as the antlers were taken legally in PA or if the antlers came from out of the state. The sticky part seem to be in determining if the antlers were taken legally. He pointed me to PA Code Title 58 section 147.146.G and PA Code Title 34 section 2312.
He said that if the antlers are from out of state it's ok to use them in products for sale in PA. Lucky for me I live on the NY line and get the antlers I use from NY.
It seems kind of silly to me but I'm sure that some time the law was put in place for a valid reason.

He said the main thing they frown upon is the buying and reselling of just antlers ( not sold as part of a product ) because it encourages people to take them illegally.

I do agree with the other comments to call, or better yet get it in writing yourself.

I hope this helps!
Good Luck

Same here in WV
as long as the deer was killed legally, you can use the horns for resale in crafts.

JD Combs Sr

What about "shed" antlers, I am not from PA or WV but was just curious for others sake? I have friends that collect sheds for me about this time of year here in Kentucky.

Haynie

Isn't it sad that we have to worry about such things.

These laws are proof that a few bad apples ruin it for the good apples. As silly as I think some laws are they are the effects of bad decisions and actions by a few.

Top Bottom