Segmenting tutorials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

I was going through the segmenting tutorials in hopes of finding something to add to some of my pens. Well I see most use the equipment I don't have. I do have a tablesaw, but it is a death trap waiting to happen so I stay away from it until I can purchase a new one.

So that leaves the miter saw. Is there any tutorials out there that I can just us it? Probably would need the easiest to accomplish. I have no clue on how to build sleds or any of that.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Dustin,
Segmentation is a woodworking skill not just a turning skill.
With all due respect, you should invest some time/energy in your WW'ing education and learn "how to build sleds or any of that."
Ron's tutorial is a good one albeit IF you don't already know that using gloves with the Miter Saw is real dangerous and you follow the tutorial to a "T", you could increase your risk of injury. Ron & I have communicated about that photo and he's been meaning to change it but hasn't had time. Plus many of the PDFs out there are digital copies of the original not links to it -- he has no access nor control over them.
There have been many posts here about tools and safety and the MS w/o the right hold downs can be as dangerous as other tools such as the TS.
What makes your TS unsafe and why can't if be made safer?

Randy_

Originally posted by cowchaser

.....I do have a tablesaw, but it is a death trap waiting to happen so I stay away from it until I can purchase a new one.

.....Is there any tutorials out there that I can just us it? Probably would need the easiest to accomplish. I have no clue on how to build sleds or any of that......

Dustin: Table saws are only as dangerous as the people who use them....the SawStop possibly excepted. Cutting segments for pen blanks is a reasonably safe process if you follow the rules and use a cutting sled.

Randy Smith has a tutorial in the works right now for such a sled/jig and it should be available shortly.

cowchaser

I am aware or woodworking safety and safety with power tools in general. I would never wear gloves using power tools. As far as the table saw being unsafe, well it's an knockkoff of something that my father bought me years ago and I only use if I have to which is about 3 times in 3 years. The brand is tradesman. The miter slots are not normal miter slots that are smooth on the side walls. It has some kind of little keys every 4 inches or whatever you want to call them that stick out as if to hold a miter gauge in so you can't lift it. So a sled would not slide smoothly. The fence doesn't and won't line up straight no matter what you do. It's very unstable feeling and I personally don't feel safe using it. I figure if you can't feel safe and comfortable using a machine you have no business using it to begin with. I have used many tablesaws and other woodworking tools and never had the feeling I have with this thing.

When I made the comment about buildings sleds ect... I am talking about just that. Different jigs and sleds. All of the woodworking I have done did not involve those. I have never used one or built one.

MobilMan

A hand miter saw will work for cutting the pieces to length & safer than a power miter. You can pick them up real cheap at the local hardware outlet. If you have a local high school/college that offers woodworking they will more than likely cut up the things you need sawn on a band or table saw as a favor.

ahoiberg

hey dustin do you have a bandsaw? i built a little sled for mine a while back and that worked well for cutting some segments. i had the same reservations as you about the miter saw, it just doesn't seem all that safe for cutting small pieces for segments.

Randy_

.....The miter slots are not normal miter slots that are smooth on the side walls. It has some kind of little keys every 4 inches or whatever you want to call them that stick out as if to hold a miter gauge in so you can't lift it. So a sled would not slide smoothly.....

Dustin: I have something similar to that on my little bench-top band saw. Mind you, I am not trying push you into something you don't want to do; but I can think of at least two alternatives that you might want to at least think about. Personally, I am not crazy about the idea of trying to cut small segments with a power miter saw; but some folks do do it and PSI even sells a little gizmo for clamping your work.

First option would be to use a little rotary grinder (Dremel) and grind off those "keys". I assume the table on your saw is cast aluminum and not iron. Actually, rather than grind them off, you could cut them off with a cutoff wheel. You should leave a little and then take that off with a bastard file so that you maintain the "square" profile of the channel.

The other/"easier" alternative would be to make up a guide to fit in the miter slot and rabbit/dado it to fit around/under the keys. It would take a little effort; but would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying a new tablesaw.

cowchaser

Thanks you Randy. It never crossed my mind just to grind them off. Think I'll give that a try. I do have an alternative tablesaw. My dad told me earlier I could have his old one. It was my grandfathers and is an old Craftsman or Montgomery Wards from when dad was a kid. He believes it is from the 40's or 50's and still works fine. He doesn't have any attachments for it, but it's a thought. It's heavy as all get out and is belt driven so probably needs a belt. He has had it stored for about 20 years I know of. I'll see what I can do on this one first. Since it probably only cost below 100 bucks I couldn't hurt it to much.

MobilMan

Cowchaser--Try"woodturningonline.com----Go to the 'segmented turning' page then 'Tools/Jigs. That'll give you an idea. Actually that site is really interesting throughout.

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Dustin,
Segmentation is a woodworking skill not just a turning skill.
With all due respect, you should invest some time/energy in your WW'ing education and learn "how to build sleds or any of that."
Ron's tutorial is a good one albeit IF you don't already know that using gloves with the Miter Saw is real dangerous and you follow the tutorial to a "T", you could increase your risk of injury. Ron & I have communicated about that photo and he's been meaning to change it but hasn't had time. Plus many of the PDFs out there are digital copies of the original not links to it -- he has no access nor control over them.

There have been many posts here about tools and safety and the MS w/o the right hold downs can be as dangerous as other tools such as the TS.
What makes your TS unsafe and why can't if be made safer?

I saw Ron Mc doing one of his demos at the Atlanta Bubbasville a couple of years back.. fascinating and seemed quite simple, but my miter saw didn't come with any hold downs like Ron uses and I haven't been able to find the horizontal hold down like he uses, so I don't try ANY type of segmenting yet... I have this thing about wanting to keep my fingers intact and have already made one stupid move on my miter that caused the saw to kick back, jammed my thumb severely and destroyed the motor housing on the saw.... I have a very very healthy respect for the new saw. And even though I use it all the time, I'm scared enough of my table saw to watch very closely what I do on it.

randyrls

Originally posted by MobilMan

A hand miter saw will work for cutting the pieces to length & safer than a power miter. You can pick them up real cheap at the local hardware outlet. If you have a local high school/college that offers woodworking they will more than likely cut up the things you need sawn on a band or table saw as a favor.

To join the thread; Look for a small hand miter saw with a cutting box made for cutting RC Airplane parts. I still use mine occasionally if I have something setup on the table saw I don't want to tear down.

Something like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3618

randyrls

I have no clue on how to build sleds or any of that.

Thanks

This is a photo of my table saw sled. It is about 30" deep and 24" wide. The holes are Tee-nuts used to fix guides or clamps to the sled. See the two black handles? I keep my hands on those while pushing the sled thru a cut.

2008562444_TableSawJig.jpg

Top Bottom