Segmented Pen Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnny1211

I have started making some segmented pens. About the only thing worse than my turning is my photography, so I won't insult anybody with a terrible 3 megapixel pic from a $50 camera. Here's my situation. I used maple and bloodwood last evening and when I sanded I ended up with a redish tint to the maple. Is this common? Any suggestions to prevent this such as cleaning methods before finishing? I used a BLO/CA finish.

Also, what is preferred, CA or yellow glue for glue-ups? I've been using CA with decent results. Still a few dark lines between segments. Working on that by building pen sled and a bit of sanding. Any other ideas?

PS-Turning "regular" pens is fun, but I'm addicted to segmented now--atleast for the time being. Makes me ALMOST want to venture to seg. bowls.

hewunch

I use ca for almost all of my segmentation. I usually use thick or medium. As far as lines go, that can be nearly solved with sanding and tight joints. As far as the tint here is what I do. Before I sand, I put on a sealer coat of thin CA. Then between grits I clean the blank with denatured alcohol. Then once I have sanded, I put on another sealer coat of thin and start my finish.

Jerryconn

When I do segmented work. I will get close to the final dimension then sharpen the skew and make my final passes. As soon as I finish I put on thin CA and then sand. The CA keeps the dark wood from smearing in the lighter wood. And I use nothing but CA while gluing up the segments.

Top Bottom