Second Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneman

Hello again all. Well, I've just finished antler pen #2 (moose antler again). And my fifth pen ever. My attempt to get natural edge failed as I drilled too far from the exterior surface. But I did experiment with staining the antler. After moose (or other antlered animals) lose their velvet the antlers are initially bone white. Then by rubbing them on trees and bushes to scrape off the peeling velvet, they become the familiar brown (reddish brown) by picking up color from the dried blood in the velvet and the saps and bark of the trees. Over time the sun begins to bleach out the color again (this is especially true of shed antlers that lie on the ground. Antler art enthusiasts often stain antlers to restore that "new" look on lamps, chandelliers, etc. One substance used for this purpose is pottassium permanganate (sometimes used by taxidermists). After turning the antler, I stained these with pottassium permanganate, then buffed lightly with steel wool and applied CA. This was the result.

2007102723233_AntlerPen2B.jpg

The lower barrel is a bit fatter than I had intended and I think it might have looked better with a chrome (or satin pearl) kit. At this point I'm still doing my initial practice with a few 24K gold cheapies (though I just ordered a few misc slimlines with other finishes).
Comments or tips always welcome. I'm afraid this might get addicting!

stoneman

Thanks for the info Gerry - I'm so new at this stuff and really excited about it, I guess I wasn't paying much attention. I'll get the hang of it in time (both posting here in the right spots AND turning antlers). I'm now headed to the right forum to "show off" a couple more moose antler tries.[:D]

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom