Satin Nickel plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kent4Him

I noticed that CSUSA had reduced the plating rating on the satin platings in the last catalog. Of the satins, I only use the Satin Nickel and have had no problem with wear at this point. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the nickel. Maybe the rating is based on the satin gold or satin pearl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I use the satin nickel plating/coating from Berea, and use a pen with it quite frequently for over two years and have not experienced any failure in the plating. As a matter of fact, I don't believe it is a plating (like our other metal platings) per se - I think it is kind of a paint coating (powder, I believe). The coating can be scratched with a sharp tool, knife etc. but so can others, too.

wizical

ive started using the satin plating from csusa, it feels more durable than the gold plating, SO i wouldnt see a problem with it as all. but you never know.

kent4Him

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />Maybe someone decided to downgrade the plate rating so the other more expensive platings become more desirable? Wouldn't shock me [:0]

I seriously doubt that. CSUSA is too much into customer service to do anything like that.

GBusardo

It's probably just me, but I am also on the why "so many different bit sizes for kits" bandwagon. I know Craft Supplies is a business, just like any other, and their goal is make money. For example, why does a TI coated pen cost so much more than most of the other platings? I could see a premium, but over double the cost? I am not slamming CSUSA in particular, their business just happens to be part of the topic. Besides, if I thought that people would opt for more expensive plating because they didn't feel comfortable with a lesser plating, I would do the same, as long as I didn't lose their business. It's good business sense to subtly steer your customers toward a higher markup product.
I also know that this thing of ours is like a community. With a few exceptions, almost all the suppliers have helped me sort things out, one way or another. What suppiers charge or how they move their plating ratings around, has nothing to do with customer service. That's a business decision.

its_virgil

Personally, I think that profit drives heavily on the price we pay for kits. I really don't see the need to charge what is charged for the more expensive kits. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see it. The kit companies charge what they can go make as much $$$ as they can to up the bottom line. I think the same is also true for drill bits. A new kit and we change the tube size just a little to require new bits. Same think in the auto industry. I don't see the luxury cars needing to cost what they charge for them...but we pay it and seem to be happy doing so. My father in law drove a Ford Crown Vic, my uncle drives a Mercury (something forgot the name) and my mom drives a Lincoln and guess what...they are (at least appear to be)the same car! Guess which one cost more.... I'm finished with this rant....and have no answers.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />It's probably just me, but I am also on the why "so many different bit sizes for kits" bandwagon. I know Craft Supplies is a business, just like any other, and their goal is make money. For example, why does a TI coated pen cost so much more than most of the other platings? I could see a premium, but over double the cost? I am not slamming CSUSA in particular, their business just happens to be part of the topic. Besides, if I thought that people would opt for more expensive plating because they didn't feel comfortable with a lesser plating, I would do the same, as long as I didn't lose their business. It's good business sense to subtly steer your customers toward a higher markup product.
I also know that this thing of ours is like a community. With a few exceptions, almost all the suppliers have helped me sort things out, one way or another. What suppiers charge or how they move their plating ratings around, has nothing to do with customer service. That's a business decision.

its_virgil

I've used all of the satin kits over the last two years and the only one I will now use is the satin nickel. The others seem to have several different problems from chipping to corrosion.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I noticed that CSUSA had reduced the plating rating on the satin platings in the last catalog. Of the satins, I only use the Satin Nickel and have had no problem with wear at this point. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the nickel. Maybe the rating is based on the satin gold or satin pearl.

GBusardo

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Personally, I think that profit drives heavily on the price we pay for kits. I really don't see the need to charge what is charged for the more expensive kits. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see it. The kit companies charge what they can go make as much $$$ as they can to up the bottom line. I think the same is also true for drill bits. A new kit and we change the tube size just a little to require new bits. Same think in the auto industry. I don't see the luxury cars needing to cost what they charge for them...but we pay it and seem to be happy doing so. My father in law drove a Ford Crown Vic, my uncle drives a Mercury (something forgot the name) and my mom drives a Lincoln and guess what...they are (at least appear to be)the same car! Guess which one cost more.... I'm finished with this rant....and have no answers.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Lincoln??????????? Did I win?? [:D]

arioux

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />
<br />Maybe someone decided to downgrade the plate rating so the other more expensive platings become more desirable? Wouldn't shock me [:0]

I seriously doubt that. CSUSA is too much into customer service to do anything like that.

Hi,

Altough i agree that CSU has a good customer service, it would not be the first time they decide something without asking us before. (think about the jr. gent nib, that most of us still hate).
There is a funny thing going on lately as far as plating is concenr. Since the arrival of direct sale from this chinese manufacturer, a ton of "low price kit" are arising even on the so called better plating (rhodium, black titatnium etc.) PSI just came in with its "funline" serie, a very low price ($1.39) and low grade plating kit (they even clearly say that their guarantee don't apply to those kit). I wonder how many of those low end kit are out there, specially that some reseller offer better pating, at standard plating cost. All those fancy kit (better center band and clip) cost less now then the slimline with black stripe a year ago. I have a serious doubt about the quality of the plating on a $1.69 black titanium or rhodium kit.
Either that or we are screwed when we pay $25.00 for a rhodium kit that have just a bit more plating to it. Sorry for the long post but i think we seriously have to start thinking about it.

Alfred

redfishsc

There are several different looking "satin nickel" pens out there.

PSI's "brushed-satin" looks more like a **very thick** epoxy or powdercoat.

Berea seems to have two different satin nickels-- one looks like a true, satin sheen metal (and has the cool feel of a metal plating--- see the satin nickel slimlines, for example). The other satin nickel looks very cheesy and has a slight amber color to it compared to the satin nickle on the slimlines. See a satin-nickel cigar from Berea.

CSUSA seems to sell the best looking satin nickel. Has the metal look and fell. I have some nickel Patriots that look great. Now if someone would actually buy a Patriot I'd be happy.

kent4Him

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />CSUSA seems to sell the best looking satin nickel. Has the metal look and fell. I have some nickel Patriots that look great. Now if someone would actually buy a Patriot I'd be happy.

Patriots are not bought, they are born.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom