Safety First!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

It's always important to stay safe, especially in the workshop. I always wear my safety glasses until I'm ready to fit the pen parts together. I did have a rogue bit of plastic jump right over the glasses just to land in my eye once (which was quite painful at the time).

I started turning wearing my safety mask as well (one of those cheap, but reusable masks for paint and wood and such). I soon stopped with the mask since I could hardly see through the fog on my glasses. Now, most of the time the resin hardly gives off any odor even, but I just wanted to know if I'm being foolish, I suppose.

What safety steps do y'all take to stay safe in the shop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

If an acrylic seems to be turning quite chippy, or when I'm working with some unbalanced wood on the lathe, I wear a face shield. I picked it up from Harbor Freight, and it's the cheap model.

When you first get it, it looks like it's got a bluish plastic for the shield, but that's a packing film to prevent scratching. Remove the thumb knobs on either side and disassemble the face shield .... peel the blue layer off. You will notice that the shield STILL doesn't look crystal clear. That's because the OTHER side still has a clear protective film on it too ... remove that as well, and then re-assemble your face shield.

Never ever ever use a cloth or rag of any kind at your lathe, unless you are rubbing some kind of finish or cleaning solution over the workpiece with the lathe powered OFF. If you are going to apply anything to a spinning workpiece, use a paper towel applicator, or a foam applicator ... not something that could potentially wrap around the spindle and grab your hands.

Keep flammables away from things that can spark. I know a lot of us use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol and many other finishing agents that are quite flammable. It should be remembered that ALL tool appliances with motors can spark, and in a flammable atmosphere, this can be a deadly lesson. Keep those containers sealed as much as possible ... only pull out what you intend to use, and remove it from the work environment as soon as is possible.

Dispose of used applicators, rags, towels, paper towels, ect in a fireproof container... preferably in a fireproof area of your shop, as well. Spontaneous combustion is NOT a workshop myth. Rebuilding a trash area is one thing ... re-building your shop, or in a worst case scenario, your entire house because it was attached to the shop.... That's a lesson someone only learns once. It's a good idea to learn from the mistakes of others before you make them yourself. Even more sinister is the possibility of losing friends and family due to your negligence in this singular area. Fire doesn't care who it consumes.

You only have one pair of lungs. It's pretty damned hard to get replacements. Use proper dust collection, air filtration, and a dust mask when working with extremely dusty items. Make damn sure you do it when you work with especially harmful items. Finding out that your WIFE is allergic to cocobolo by giving her a full-body rash every time you hug her is a surefire way to beg for a divorce. Setting aside a vacuum hose to vacuum yourself off before you head for the house is a good way to keep on her good side.

Your shop is only as safe as you can make it. Make it safer by installing a main breaker switch that will control all the outlets in your shop other than the lights. Switch it off when you're not going to be using your tools, and set it up so that it can't be switched back on without YOU there to supervise by either locking the box or hiding the breaker switch location so that your kids and their friends can't "play" with "daddy's toys". Heartbreak is defined as finding out exactly what it's like to bury your child.

jttheclockman

It's always important to stay safe, especially in the workshop. I always wear my safety glasses until I'm ready to fit the pen parts together. I did have a rogue bit of plastic jump right over the glasses just to land in my eye once (which was quite painful at the time).

I started turning wearing my safety mask as well (one of those cheap, but reusable masks for paint and wood and such). I soon stopped with the mask since I could hardly see through the fog on my glasses. Now, most of the time the resin hardly gives off any odor even, but I just wanted to know if I'm being foolish, I suppose.

Recent thread I started

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/caution-136702/

As far as the mask goes there are plenty of dust masks out there that have vent holes so that it does not fog glasses. Not all masks are for all jobs so choose the ones that are designed for what you are doing at the time.

This is a good one

0009956-23.jpg

Last edited:

MTViper

I spent 30 years in the safety field - aviation, industrial/occupational, and explosives. I've investigated accidents in each of the 3 disciplines in military and civilian settings. I spent 20 years of this as a college instructor teaching all facets of safety. I would NEVER encourage anyone to do anything unsafe in the workplace or at home.

Having said that, the best safety briefing I ever got was Don't Do Anything Dumb. One of the unintended consequences of 45 years of OSHA is that we have installed safety procedures in the place of hazard analysis.

Every Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) OSHA regulation (that don't apply to your home shop but are a good idea anyway) starts with the requirement to analyze the workplace and protect against hazards that are present or may be present. Most people seem to start with a solution without knowing if there is a problem or not. If that's what you need to make sure you're safe, it's your shop and you can do it any way you like.

I wear prescription bifocal safety glasses all the time. That's so when they get scratched or I'm ready to change glasses, they can become my shop glasses and I'll buy a new pair to wear every day. I have my old pair in the shop and I try to use them rather than my everyday pair so I don't get glue or paint on the new ones. The prescription helps me see what I'm turning better than regular safety glasses.

When I turn anything larger than a pen, I wear a face shield. I have a cheap HF shield and a UVEX Bionic. I bought it from UVEX rather than from a woodworking store because it was half the price that way. I never forget it is JUST A FACE SHIELD. It's not a helmet. It will give some protection against small things flying off the lathe but not a 5 lb chunk of wood at 2000 RPM. The Trend Airshield is also just a face shield.

When I turn unbalanced blanks and any dyed plywood (like Spectraply or Dymalux), I wear anti-vibration gloves. They have no finger tips so I can feel what I'm doing and they Velcro closed across the back of the hand and the wrist so there is nothing to grab. They reduce fatigue from the vibration and they keep sharp pieces of plywood from burning a blister on the little finger of my left hand.

Sometimes I wear a face mask, sometimes I don't. Depends on what I'm turning. I have an industrial strength fan that blows over my right shoulder and into the turning zone that blows dust away from me before it gets to my breathing zone. I had a HAZWOPER instructor who helped with the Exxon Valdez cleanup who taught "the solution to pollution is dilution". If I dilute the contaminants with moving air, I move them out of the breathing zone and reduce the hazard.

I have a ton of other safety processes, equipment, and procedures I use and require others to use in my shop. All of them are based on an informed hazard analysis I have done that identifies the hazard, determines corrective actions to reduce the hazard, uses engineering methods first to eliminate the hazards, uses administrative procedures second to eliminate the hazards, and uses PPE as a last line of defense against hazards that can't be mitigated. Remember: PPE is proof your hazard abatement program has failed.

If I can help you with safety in your shop, shoot me a PM.

Steve

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I usually wear a full face shield (Woodcraft - $25-$30).

I also have bifocals, so I understand the fogging.

I drilled 12 small holes right in front of my nose which allows air to escape and I have no fog problems. These are small holes, as I understand what I have done has decreased the integrity of the shield if a large block goes airborn, but I rarely turn larger objects and I'm more concerned about chips to avoid exactly what you experienced, and at least I do not have to do battle with fogging.

This is ME - You do what you feel is best!

Sappheiros

Recent thread I started

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/caution-136702/

As far as the mask goes there are plenty of dust masks out there that have vent holes so that it does not fog glasses. Not all masks are for all jobs so choose the ones that are designed for what you are doing at the time.

This is a good one

0009956-23.jpg

I believe this might just be the exact mask I use... I guess I just breathe heavy or hot..?

Skie_M

Set up a fan in your shop to blow air across your face from the side ..... this will help with the fogging issue. Perhaps one directly overhead to blow down on you would work too.

randyrls

I made this pen turning hood many years ago. Dust Collector attachment at the back gets most of the dust and shavings and the top lexan shield catches anything that comes apart. Attached with magnets on the bedways. The top is hinged and flips up for sanding. I believe I got the idea from MesquiteMan(?). I'd like to make another one that is a bit narrower.

View in Gallery

There is a Wiki Article on Safety.

Anything larger than a pen I wear a full face shield. Make sure it is rated Z87.1 or Z87+ (Z87 is a much lower rating)

Last edited:

RedBeard

I hear ya about errant pieces finding their way between my glasses and my face and homing in on my eyeballs. I wear prescription safety glasses complete with side shields ad yet it still seems to happen. I have yet to use a dust mask that didn't cause safety glasses to fog up. Even my cartridge type respirator will cause my specs to fog up.

Top Bottom