Rifle Shell Pen AND Pencil set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkoehler

I have been asked to make a pen and pencil set for a local Ducks Unlimited Fundraiser.
I was thinking of making a set of Deer antler and rifle shell.
has anyone done a set like this?
what is a good set for this?
any insight would be appreciated.

I would like something about the size of a cigar pen and pencil.

thank you

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDEdwards

Duck hunters use shot guns and like malard feathers. Just a thought.
I have used 30.06 pen kits from Litlle River together with antler. I like antler, it is rustic.
Michael

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Just off the top of my head, since you want something in the cigar pen size, the simplist option would be to use a cigar kit. Magnum calibers (such as 300 WinMag or 338 WinMag) go well with a cigar pen upper barrel. For the pencil, substitute a Schmidt DSM 2006 pencil mechanism for the parker-style refill.

Then again, Michael's idea of a shotshell hull and feather blank sounds pretty cool.

Regards,
Eric

rherrell

I made this from a 25/06 casing some deer antler and a Pentel pencil mechanism. It might give you some ideas...............

attachment.php

attachment.php

A 25/06 casing is ALMOST a perfect fit for the Pentel nib, only a slight modification was necessary. I used a wooden spacer, epoxied in, to take up the space at the nib and keep it centered.
This was just one of those "can it be done" projects for me, if I was going to make one for a customer I'd substitute brass for the wooden spacer.:wink:

Attachments

• pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 936
  • pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:

jbthbt

I just use 30-30 or 30/06 brass and comfort pen and pencil kit. The wide center band help to keep the pencil straight enough for the mechanism to work properly. I've made several hundred sets over the past few years and have only had one returned to me that had fallen apart. Not quit as big as the cigars, but they're quick and easy.

Top Bottom