resin question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Hey everybody, Long time no hear. I've been deeply involved with an Air Force school since the beginning of December and have unfortunately not turned a pen since Thanksgiving. That being said, I'm trying to get back to it and I have a question about resin casting. I know some of you have cast snake skins in resin. What I'm interested in doing is casting a dollar bill in resin and making a pen out of it. Any suggestions or advice on how to do this?

PS. In case anyone is wondering, the dollar bill is part of an Air Force tradition and will be a gift to an Instructor Pilot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Glue the dollar bill to the brass tubes and cast in polyester resin. There are articles on how to cast. There is a good one on yahoo penturner's group if you are a member. It was writtne by Jay Pickens and is excellent. There is an article in our articles here on .org for casting and another for making molds from copper tubes. There was a good thread just in the last two weeks on casting resin blanks of all kinds. Search around and you'll find what you need.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Fred, glue the dollar bill to the brass tube, use an adhesive that won't stain the bill, maybe carpenters glue. I would think CA would stain it. Then cast the tube in clear gloss polyster resin. I would use a flat mold for the casting. Tube molds take longer to cure and are more difficult to cast. Hope this helps. Anthony

KKingery

I think Anthony has the best idea for what you want to do. I tried making the copper tube mold, and honestly, was'nt thrilled with the results of the casting.

its_virgil

I don't cast using the copper tubes either. I use 3" square plastic tubs used in soap making I think. They could be tupperware. The resin pops right out and 3 half blanks per tub. I have made wooden molds but really like the heavy plastic tubs best.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by KKingery
<br />I think Anthony has the best idea for what you want to do. I tried making the copper tube mold, and honestly, was'nt thrilled with the results of the casting.

PenWorks

Fred, consider how your going to secure the tube in the flat mold, those suckers want to float around. I also use potatoes and base wax to keep the resin out of the tubes. Good Luck, Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom