Request for field reports on Abranet use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BruceA

There was a group buy in Jan08 of about 50 people purchasing Abranet sanding sheets, many to use it for the first time.

Would any of those participants as well as previous users be able to convey your recommendation and observations after some practical use?

A large sampling like this could provide some useful antecdotes on what sounds like a superior product to conventional sandpaper.

A few quick sentences either pro/con would be appreciated !

Thanks
Bruce in TN.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

I bought a bunch of Abranet off Fleabay----220 and 320.
Stuff works great but I found 320 to be a bit course----wish I would of been able to find 500.

talbot

I've been using Abranet for quite some time but not however for pens as I prefer to use W&D cut into 3/4" strips for this process.
I use Abranet for all other turning and think it performs extremely well.
It's so easy to unclog, just a flick, job done, and it appears to last longer than conventional papers but maybe that's because it's easy to keep clean for longer,,, the grit does wear over time and I haven't actually tested durability against conventional papers so maybe it's no better than good quality papers.
I cut mine into 2" squares,,, I find it easier to handle that way and I can get a full set in to the coat pocket.
My one gripe has to be that the printed grit ref on the back side disappears after a short time and its easy to mix up the medium and finer grits during use. Ive tried a permanent marker which helps a bit. This criticism I guess applies to most abrasives so it's not specific to Abranet. I do wish manufacturers would stamp the grit ref all over the back of their papers though.
I dont know if Abranet manufacture standard size discs and sheets for sanders but if they do I suspect they will be highly efficient.
regards, Bill

me2cyclops

easy to clean , long lasting , and at least seems to me not to build as much heat as standard paper.
I'll not go back to paper.

bruce119

I've used it and like it. I used it wet and performs very well when wet just hit with some air and it's clear and dry. I wish there was a finer grit then the 320. I got some 220 and don't use it too coarse. I still find myself using 400 norton to start then micro mesh old habits are hard to break. Oh and I think the 320 abranet is just about equivalent if not a little coarser than the 400 paper norton.

Bruce

lwalden

Bruce, I've organized group buys on abranet for the IAP members 3 times, with the most recent being Dec '08, delivery in Jan '09. While there are a variety of grits available in a variety of formats (Sheets, rolls, disks), I've generally limited the grits to 80, 120, 180, 240, 320, and 400. In the bulk quantities needed to get the discounts, these seemed to cover the largest range of requests. The full range of grits (to the best of my knowledge) is 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1000. The supplier I use does not carry all grits in every one of the different sizes of all the formats available (sheets, rolls and disks), though the disk versions seem to have the widest selections in their varying sizes. Since many here use MicroMesh, and micromesh 1500 is roughly equivalant to 400 grit, my experience has been that there is limited demand for the grits above 400. As has been mentioned, one of the positive differentiators has been the open weave of the abranet product. As a result of this feature, the sanding dust has an easy path for escape, so abranet rarely clogs and is easy to clean and re-use. This also results in less heat build-up, and I believe it also assists in reducing color contamination when using segmented woods, though it is not a cure for that issue. I use the 80 grit for a lot of work on tru-stone blanks. One of the things you can't use abranet for, is when trying to use a slurry of sanding dust and thin CA to fill open pores or voids on blanks, so I always keep a supply of 120 grit regular sandpaper cut into 3/4" by 5 1/2" strips handy. While abranet lasts significantly longer than regular sandpaper, it does wear down and lose it's "bite" over time. This has seemed to take place more quickly with 400 grit in my experience than with the lower grits. I go through more of the 320 grit than any of the others- largely because it's the grit I primarily use after applying my rough coats of medium CA to level out the finish followed by a quick hit with 400, before switching to wet sanding with the 1500 micromesh up through 12000. I cut my strips into roughly 1 1/4" wide by 2 3/4" long pieces, and use a black sharpie on the fuzzy backing material to keep track of the grits- using a "1" for 120, a "2" for 180, a "3" for 240, and a "4" for the 320. the 80 and 400 grit are visibly different enough that I don't need to mark them in order to correctly identify their grit. The orientation of the strands in the abranet weave is such that it sands, or "cuts", more aggresively if oriented such that the top weave is parallel to the blank, and cuts less agressively as you rotate the orientation of the abranet. By cutting my strips to the smaller size, not only do I get more usage out of each piece (you tend to use the outer edges of the abranet to sand), but I also have more ability for fine control during the sanding process by rotating the orientation of the weave, and hence the aggressiveness of the cut. Hope this info helps- please let me know if any of this raises additional questions.

bad

I've been using the Abranet since I got it and really like it for all the same reasons stated in previous replies. I would be receptive to getting some in the higher grits. It would be interesting to compare the performance of the higher grits of Abranet to Micro Mesh.

S

spiritwoodturner

I've only used the AbraNET products on my other turnings, and I do like it. I use the AbraLON pads for pens because it seems less agressive, and it goes to 4000 grit. File this under "We use what we get used to" if you want, but I really like the pads.

Dale

drayman

hiya bruce, i have been using abranet for 2 years now. i find it loads better than paper. it lasts longer, easier to clean. i use the grits, 120,180,240,320,400,500 then micromesh to 12000 both wet for acrylics and dry for wood. i cant praise it enough.

Hi Bruce,
I think I bought Abranet in the Jan 08 group buy... I still have nearly half of what I bought left... it seems to last forever... I also use the rolled, clothed backed sandpaper from Klingspor (I think.. I get it from a local carving shop in Townsend) and while I like the sandpaper from Klingspor... the Abranet seems to leave a smoother and finer surface.. Good stuff!.

JerryS

First time user of it , I bought three different grits. (220,320 & 400) I really like using it , they hold up a very long time and leave a nice finish . Easy to clean the buildup off . Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned .

BruceA

Abranet sources

Thanks for the detailed replies! Your encouraging reports may help some here to give this a try.

I've scoured around and found that PSI (www.pennstateind.com) has a 10 piece pack of 5 grits for $ 10.95 in the 2-3/4" x 5" sheets, 120x 180x 240x 320x 400x grit - 2 of each.

Amazon.com has 10piece packs of single grits:
- 9A-149-320RP 320grit $ 5.82
- 9A-149-400rp 400grit $ 6.29
- 9A-150-600RP 600grit $ 7.46

If you purchase 25$ worth, the shipping is free from Amazon.

I'm going to buy the 5-grit pack from PSI to give them a try, then buy the single grit packs when I understand which ones will work the best for my needs.

Thanks y'all for your valued input!

Bruce in TN.

Attachments

• Abranet Assortment.jpg
    Abranet Assortment.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Abranet.jpg
    Abranet.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 121

arw01

Try an auto paint supplier

I have a 3000 grit 3m pad sitting on my work desk, and a 4000 grit I thought was Abranet.

They are not cheap. FOUR pads, 2 of each type ran me over $16.00 wholesale. I have not tired them, yet, but extremely fine finishing materials are used on auto paint jobs constantly.

philb

I use that ebay seller over here in the UK! Have to say hes pretty good, and can get most if not all of the grits available, in packs of 10 or 50! Im on boxes of 50, as the 600 grit is ideal for smooth out a CA finish before MM'ing!

PHIL

Top Bottom