Ready to step up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Having turned almost 200 slimline, softgrip and designer 7mm pens, I'm ready to try something new

What kit would you recommend for my first venture into the more complex kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

I would say an Apprentice Jr Gent or something like it. One of the nice rollerball with a cap pens .... SO much you can do with them, but with a bit of care they are easy right out of the box. And they won't break the bank.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Either the cigar kits or the sierra "type" (sierra/wall streetII/diplomat/and more) kits are a great next step. The sierra is actually easier than the slims and the cigars are only difficult because of different tube lengths and bushing sizes.

I like both for the same reason... The "low end" versions of both are very reasonable prices and you can step up to a "higher end" version of both without new bushings/tubes/etc.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If you can make nice slimlines then you can make ANY pen. :wink:

I think the only 'tricky' ones are those that require tenons.

GoodTurns

what he said.... pick a kit that appeals to you and you will enjoy making (and hopefully, selling) them. lots to choose from, check out the show off forum and go for it!

alphageek

Former Moderator

:eek::eek::eek:!!! Interesting reply coming from a guy who makes stunning unique masterpieces.

I agree that those with tendons are tricky.. The cigars are 'deceptive' though in that because the top and bottom tubes are the same diameter, yet there is 4 different sized bushings and the tubes are different lenghts, then its easy to screw up if you aren't careful.

So their really not hard, but probably the one that I've heard people goof more than others due to that (I solved it by putting my bushings in with a cigar that I chose not to assemble... Now there is no doubt which bushing goes where).

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
alphageek;1120107 I agree that those with [COLOR=red said:
TENDONS[/COLOR] are tricky.. The cigars are 'deceptive' though in that because the top and bottom tubes are the same diameter, yet there is 4 different sized bushings and the tubes are different lenghts, then its easy to screw up if you aren't careful.

So their really not hard, but probably the one that I've heard people goof more than others due to that (I solved it by putting my bushings in with a cigar that I chose not to assemble... Now there is no doubt which bushing goes where).

LOL, I was gonna use the Tendon word too, just for fun!!!:biggrin:

Mixing up the bushings on a Cigar is an experienced turner fault.
It's called complacency. Newer turners tend to follow the destructions better. :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
lies lies lies

When they tell you that slimlines are the easiest pens to turn....they lie, truely lie and really lie. I my opinion any single tube pen is much easier to turn than a slimline and usually a lot easier to assemble also. Find one you like and just go with it. You might want to pick one for which you already have the required drill bit(s).

Scratch

I started with Designers, then went to Mesa's.
I've got a Majestic Roller ball waiting to be started but I
haven't got the courage up to try it yet. I've only been turning since April
So I guess I'm worried about ruining it.

sbwertz

I started turning in April, too. I started with the slims because if I messed it up I didn't have a huge investment down the drain. I found I could make them larger in diameter, and if I omitted the center band and made the cap longer, could completely change the look.

I have one Euro, and several designers to do. Then I think I will try a Sierra type.

IPD_Mrs

Steven is correct about turning anything if you can turn a slim. The other kits are not complex just more costly. Complex is getting perfectly round turnings and sized exactly the same as the fittings for a smooth trasition.

sbwertz

PSI Executive?

Another thread is talking about the PSI Executive. Would that be a good candidate for a first "upscale" pen?

bking0217

I've only been turning since September and was in the same boat. I came across Smitty's deal on Jr Gent 1's. Granted, they won't be here until next month but I still think he's offering a great deal for a great kit. Maybe I'm not good enough to make them yet but I've got another month to practice.

jskeen

I must agree, Smitty's deal on his jr gent 1 kits is the best way going to get into the rollerball pen game. Even if you didn't get in on the group buy, he sells them on his website. He has stated that his have the nylon female threads in the cap, which not all jr gent 1 kits seem to have. I purchased a jr gent 1 fountain pen recently, and then discovered that the threads were cut into the metal of the centerband assy. Not a good combination with black epoxy coated male threads on the couplers. But once you get the trick of aligning the threads so that the grain of the blanks lines up closed and posted, you will be ready to go on to the higher end rollerballs and fountain pens.

Last edited:

Wildman

I think PSI Executive is a nice pen, with good selection of platings. If you like thick pens also take a look at Polaris Click pen.

If you like, PSI Executive, take a look at Berea Hardwood Retro Pen (Provincial/Executive) and Craft Supplies Artisan American Classic. These kits require upper and lower barrel, little slimmer and not as many platings choices as PSI.

I have made bunch of Polaris click pens. Executive & Polaris nice kits to turn with out a mandrel.

sbwertz

I also turned a couple of Elegant American pens. I don't think that kit is still available. Are the bushings useable in any other style?

Wildman

Sharon, with exception of kits like Polaris, Sierra, Elegant Beauty, buy bushings with new kits. Hate to refer you to library for bushing compatibility chart, but it is a good reference. I use catalog or web site.

Elegant American, think is a Berea kit and requires 15A or 17B bushings. Not sure what Berea re-sellers call that pen kit. Doubt those bushing compatible with kits mentioned in this thread.

I would buy bushing with PSI Executive kit, or Polaris. Polaris twist and click take same bushings. They offer an Executive 8 kit special for $66.15 + shipping.

Berea has an introductory offer on Retro Pen24K upgrade gold kit buy 10 and bushings are free. My catalog list $44.00+shipping.

Craft Supplies American Classic, has no specials.

Berea & Craft Supplies extra tube little cheaper than PSI. You can use PSI extra tubes on both Executive and Polaris but require you cut to size.

sbwertz

Sharon, with exception of kits like Polaris, Sierra, Elegant Beauty, buy bushings with new kits. Hate to refer you to library for bushing compatibility chart, but it is a good reference. I use catalog or web site.

Elegant American, think is a Berea kit and requires 15A or 17B bushings. Not sure what Berea re-sellers call that pen kit. Doubt those bushing compatible with kits mentioned in this thread.

I would buy bushing with PSI Executive kit, or Polaris. Polaris twist and click take same bushings. They offer an Executive 8 kit special for $66.15 + shipping.

Berea has an introductory offer on Retro Pen24K upgrade gold kit buy 10 and bushings are free. My catalog list $44.00+shipping.

Craft Supplies American Classic, has no specials.

Berea & Craft Supplies extra tube little cheaper than PSI. You can use PSI extra tubes on both Executive and Polaris but require you cut to size.

Thank you for the information. I know different suppliers sometimes have the same kit under different names. I thought someone might have a clone of the elegant American. I have euro bushings, elegant america bushings, slim bushings, soft grip bushings, and designer bushings. (and a partridge in a pear tree :biggrin:) I usually buy long tubes and cut them to length. I have a mini chop saw to cut them with.

I am leaning toward the executive. I have had poor luck with 24k pens with the plating chipping. What about the upgrade gold. Does it stay on better?

Wildman

Think many folks here will tell you upgrade gold and 10K gold no better than regular 24Kt gold, go for plating more durable. I have followed that advice and have mixed feelings.

Personal experience with Berea's 24k upgrade button & cushion grip click pens been positive. Use a button click pen daily my wife carries one in her purse, no plating problems. Made those button click pens about five years ago. Have given away couple cushion grip pens this past year so far no complaints.

Have given away several 24kt & upgrade gold pens away to family and acquaintances. Those people more apt to throw away a pen when it stops writing . They are not going to bother buying a new refill. Understand my families thought process they have a brother that makes pens.

A lady saw my Polaris T/N gold click pen with copper w/gold thread acrylic blank told me her click purse pen I gave her getting old. She would take my poorly made Polaris. When told her would sell her a better quality one wholesale not interested.

JMHO, gold plated pens more popular than black titanium and chrome platings I make.

pianomanpj

TENDONS[/color] are tricky.. The cigars are 'deceptive' though in that because the top and bottom tubes are the same diameter, yet there is 4 different sized bushings and the tubes are different lenghts, then its easy to screw up if you aren't careful.

It's called complacency. Newer turners tend to follow the destructions better. :biggrin:

Been there, done that!! :biggrin: I now number my bushings one through four (or whatever) from left to right with a permanent marker on the ends. If I screw up now, it's because I can't read! :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nah

Don't worry about it....just go ahead and ruin it and get it out of your system.:redface:

sbwertz

TENDONS[/color] are tricky.. The cigars are 'deceptive' though in that because the top and bottom tubes are the same diameter, yet there is 4 different sized bushings and the tubes are different lenghts, then its easy to screw up if you aren't careful.

Been there, done that!! :biggrin: I now number my bushings one through four (or whatever) from left to right with a permanent marker on the ends. If I screw up now, it's because I can't read! :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

That is further complicated by the fact that I put the nib end at the headstock and the clip/cap end at the tailstock. It is just easier for me to turn the nib down to a nice taper at the bushing on the headstock end. So all the instructions are "backwards" to the way I do it.

Top Bottom